How to: - 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
This is my second and hopefully much more helpful writeup on converting the 95-01 gauge cluster to LEDs. I have tried 3 different types of 12v wedge based 194 replacements and I have finally found the one that puts out enough light and lights up the cluster evenly.

Here were my candidates.
From Left to Right: Inverted Wedge LED, Refractor LED, SMD LEDs
100_1393.jpg

The Results

Inverted Wedge LED: Even Light output, but not bright enough

Refractor LED: Horribly Uneven light output, Short Lifespan (they started blowing on me)

SMD (Surface Mount Diode): Even Light output and very bright (brighter the the 194LL Bulbs)

100_1396.jpg

Getting to the cluster:

Step 1
Remove the Radio
100_1375.jpg

Step 2
Remove the 2 screws (circled in red)
Disconnect the 5 wiring harness behind the bezel (circled in blue)
100_1376-1.jpg

100_1377.jpg

Step 3
Remove the 4 screws holding the plastic panel in place. (2 are hidden under the hood release) Then pull back on the top of the panel ( it is held in by clips)
100_1378-1.jpg

Step 4
Remove the 3 bolts holding the metal shield in place
100_1380.jpg

Step 5
Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the gauge bezel (note the wiring harness locations circled in blue)
100_1383.jpg

Step 6
Remove the 3 screws at the top of the gauge bezel
100_1384.jpg

Step 7
Pull out the bezel enough to disconnect the 3 wiring harnesses. (Headlight Switch, Dimmer, and Rear Parking Assist) Then Remove the bezel. (Shifter must be in 1st gear)
100_1385.jpg

Step 8
Remove the 4 screws holding in the Gauge Cluster
100_1386.jpg

100_1387.jpg

Step 9
Tilt the Cluster back and remove the Shift Indicator from the cluster, there are 2 plastic tabs that must be held on each side to remove the indicator.
Disconnect the 3 wiring harness from behind the cluster, then remove the Cluster
100_1388.jpg

100_1389.jpg

Now Hopefully You are holding your Instrument Cluster and can go on to the fun part.

Remove the 6 back light bulbs from the cluster. (Circled in Red)
( I also highly recommend you also remove the THEFT light LED so you don't risk blowing it like I did when I was trying to figure out how to bench test the cluster)
The PC board on the back of the cluster is flexible so you can carefully pull the contacts where the wiring harnesses attach out of the sockets so you can attach alligator clips to bench test.
(The white wires are the - and the RED and GREEN are +)
100_1392.jpg

Here are the LEDs in the sockets. ( I used a bit of hot glue to make sure they didn't come out)
100_1390.jpg

I apologize for not having a night shot of the final product, but the camera I have with me is an absolute noise box and takes terrible low light pics. When I get back my Canon ill get some pics.

Good Luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

alright...... i guess i'll do the mod when the LEDs get here.:D

:DI had to rip apart my door (drivers side) today because my handle (outside) doesnt work. while i had it apart i pulled switches apart for the windows and door locks... they appear to be regular 3mm LEDs... anyone ever mess with these? post a link to a thread maybe? i cant find one....

Get the ones that are taller, nine SMD LEDs on the bulb.

The 9 SMD's did not work for me, they wouldn't fit in a couple spots due to some clear plastic lookin thingy that appeared to disperse the light. Now I have a '96 with a late '95 early '96 cluster, the later models may be different!!

I bought LED's from ebay and they're great. Even worked through the winter with no problem. Man you're up late.... Where in Alaska are you? Contrary to my details, I'm in Fairbanks.

The ones I found on eBay were in MD. But that doesn't mean anything. I bet all those LEDs come from China
Posted via Mobile Device

MustangP51

How did you get the green color to your dials? I saw you mentioned a film was applied. Where do you get the colored film and how do you apply it?

Thanks

The green film on the gauge face is factory OEM. People scrape off the green film to change the color of the gauges. I have never heard anyone put it back on.

Hmmm. Mine is stock and does not look anything like yours. My instruments are more of a white color.

Hi; just a FYI;
On the back of all? 2nd Gen Explorer gauge clusters', 5 of the 6 lights align with a plastic prism that is attached to the gauge modules and difuses the light evenly for the gauges. There is one for the left gauge, one for the right gauge, and three for the main center gauge. The last [the 6th bulb], is on the top of the center section at approx 65 mph. There is no difuser on that bulb.
After having a 2000 Ex totaled, and now having a 98, have been redoing many mods, and one is to replace al lof the dash bulbs to LEDS and to reinstall my reverse glow gauges into the 98. The totaled 2000 had the 4.0SOHC, and thus the LOW/HI 4x4. My 98 is a AWD. Simply a matter of painting the face to cover the Low/High engraving. No bulb needed.

Any thoughts?

Still have a long console, grey, for sale. and 2 head units.
Thanks
Ron

Yes they are the same. I ordered mine from china and they work. Although, a couple of them are flickering now lol.

I think i am going to try something different. I am going to get a scrap cluster from the junkyard for 20 bucks. Was thinking of using some kind of cold cathode or similar lighting. It will make a nice cool glow. I know the lexus uses this from factory.

lightbar003.jpg

Heres mine with 6 5000k led's
they are 194 with 5 "5050 3 chip" leds that produce 5000k light

lightbar003.jpg

Heres mine with 6 5000k led's
they are 194 with 5 "5050 3 chip" leds that produce 5000k light

Very nice strong ligt...can't wait until I get mine from Hong Kong and be able to "see" again :salute:

ya mine are like that. they are the cool white, not as blue as those. They look great compared to stock bulbs. Just wish they would last longer. They are not flickering now. Each bulb has 5 lights. It seems just one of the five flicker on a couple of them. Order extra so you can fix the bad ones. I use them also for my interior lighting. It looks great also...

ya mine are like that. they are the cool white, not as blue as those. They look great compared to stock bulbs. Just wish they would last longer. They are not flickering now. Each bulb has 5 lights. It seems just one of the five flicker on a couple of them. Order extra so you can fix the bad ones. I use them also for my interior lighting. It looks great also...

I order 12 of them...nice to have in backup :D

Back