• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Noise

bluroc

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I have just acquired a 2001 Sport with 145,000 miles on it. I have a diesel clatter coming from the front of the motor. I have read on here and other sites about it being timing belt tensioner and/or guide issues. One thing I don't know is how long it's been like this as the person I traded for it doesn't know either. One question I have is does anyone know how long will these go before it jumps time or something?? I know worst case is it will jump time, pistons hit valves, basically find another engine. I'm fairly good mechanically but it seems Ford didn't want anyone else working on these things as you have to have $400 tools just to make sure the cams are in time. Anyway, if anyone has suggestions/comments please chime in. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man,I'm sorry to hear you bought that.Just so you know a new Jasper engine is $3100+ so you don't want to go that route,others will chime in and let you know what kind of cash you will have to spend to fix it correctly.:D

Left guide & primary tensioner/guide replacement

bluroc, if you're mechanically inclined you can probably do the repairs yourself for less than $300 using Ford parts. I suspect that you need to replace your left timing chain guide assembly and the primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain tensioner and guide. You may want to read thru the thread with the following link:

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Inspection & Repair

The chain can slip at any time. It is most likely to happen when the oil pressure is low. One morning you could just back out of your garage and the engine could die and not restart.

I didn't buy it I traded a 1995 Toyota Camry with 215000 miles on it and needed work even for it. Given that everything else except the factory stereo and drivers outside door handle works and works well, I am hoping with little cash outlay I can make it into a decent vehicle and still come out way ahead. I looked through the above link and its not past what I think i can do. Also, does anyone know if it has a option decal of some kind located somewhere? I know GM's do and was wondering if this one does. This is my first Ford in years so I have some learning to do. Thanks to everyone for your help!!

Glad to hear that,I bought my 94 XLT 3 years ago and as we were out driving I saw the 2000.I looked here to see what not to buy and the 4.0 sohc is a real stinker in my opinion after much reading.

Man am I glad I got the 5.0.I really am glad you kinda made out on the deal.:D

Glad to hear that,I bought my 94 XLT 3 years ago and as we were out driving I saw the 2000.I looked here to see what not to buy and the 4.0 sohc is a real stinker in my opinion after much reading.

Man am I happy I got the 5.0.It's good you kinda made out on the deal.:D

Back