Prayers for injured race fans | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prayers for injured race fans

prayers go out to all victim's families, drivers and anyone else affected by this SAD SAD tragedy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a very Tragic event, and could have been prevented with some common sense. I do think they should have done better crowd control around this popular section, however we all know this is some of the risk we take, in the off-road world.

The spot light is now on the off-road community and we need to stick together and show we support our own. This very well could change a lot of things for us here in California:(.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the families.:salute:

this is a ****ty situation that is heartfelt, but maybe next time people wont stand so close. that is just F'n stupid. common sense people.

my thoughts & prayers go out to the families tho.

This is such a terrible tragedy, condolences to friends and families involved.

With an open desert race like this, it is logistically impossible to police and contain crowds although I do agree something needed to be done to keep the crowds back. Since there was nothing in place to do so, people are naturally going to get as close to the action as possible.

I was at KOH this year with RockRanger and we were at the starting line to watch the cars take off. We were at a point on the course where they were pretty much at full speed when they passed us. There was always a thought in the back of my mind when a car passed that there is nothing to stop them from darting into the crowd should they ever lose control...i'll be choosing my viewing spot more carefully next time.

After seeing the video it makes me think twice about what I did at the RCRocs race up at Rausch Creek back in July.. I was on the edge of the fast portion and during the rock crawling sections on rocks at the bottom of the rock crawling portion or behind a tree..

Last report was $75,000 had been donated already. The offroad community is one of the closest knit group i have ever been a part of. This event is a very sad one and hopefully good changes will come of it.

There is talk now that BLM will shut down ALL land off road racing in California:( This could even go as far as lousing our recreation areas...AKA Truckhaven :(

Please fill out there form, telling them why they should keep this sport alive.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/forms/feedback/index.php?fo=4

Ridiculous. In 2009 on average 93 people died every day in car accidents. 93 a DAY. One bad offroad accident and now they want to re-write the rules? Bull ****.

Somebody said: "More people are injured a year in Vending Machine accidents then off-road racing"

Sad

this is brutal.... i just got a phone call from a friend in San Bernardino that was there and left just minutes before this happened, he said that people in this spot were crowding the course and with every truck that went by theyd get closer and closer to the course, and even some would attempt to run across in front of the trucks before they got to close.... he said they left early because of the amount of stuff that was going on and his fear that something would happen and he didnt want to see nor have his girl with him see it happen... he said he was about 15mins out from the spot, when over the radio and police scanner started to spark off ...

i know, personaly, several people in the Dez Racing Scene, and my heart drops every time i hear of a tragedy.... My Prayers will go to the families effected by this ...

unfortunately from what ive heard, the BLM has been looking for a long while to put a stop to racing out this way.....so hopefully no one wll "over react"

This wasn't an if it was a when. I feel the pain for the all the families and people involved. In the few races that i have been to this could happen at anytime. The cars wreck and roll all the time at a race. This time people happened to be in the way. Why people stand 3 feet from the race track blow my mind. They wouldn't stand 3 feet off the freeway. You just have to be smart where you are a spectator from. Hopefully next time there is a race I will be able to go and watch it.

Even before this I knew when I go to KOH this year I plan to avoid the starting line and sledge hammer. Two places that have the largest crowds and biggest chance to get hurt. I will watch that part of the race in the DVD.

This is so sad and the media is all over it, but really, I can't believe people will try to outlaw off road racing.

Just in the past month

6 people drown at a cookout
http://www.essence.com/news/hot_topics_4/6_teens_drown_louisiana.php

9 die when coworker opens fire
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38535909/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

tornados, crashes, drownings, acts of violence these events happen every day in our lives. I'm not trying to justify anything but remind us how precious life is. It doesn't make it any easier for those who lost loved ones, but the media attention is ridiculous and the comments people make on news forums is so disrespectful.

There is no doubt that that desert racing will never be the same. No sober promoter will be willing to accept the liability, or be able to afford the insurance to be the responsable part. BLM will not allow this to happen again.

About 25-years ago we had a similar incident at a sand drag race. The vehicle launched into the crowd and killed 3 people. The venue still has races but they are not the same.

Agreed- the insurance charges that these promoters are going to have to pay if these lawsuits go through, and end up creating new laws- will price the sport out of the market for audiences.

In my mind, I don't know how you prevent people from walking out onto desert courses, but honestly- if they're going to stand that close, if something happens- it's your fault. I see no way around that aside from if a driver purposely drives into the crowd. If you want the thrill, you accept the risk.

BLM isn't trying to outlaw offroad racing...

From my understanding MDR violated their permit, and due to the results it may not ever be reissued to them. Rumor has it that even MORE is blaming MDR. Either way, right now it's just a huge finger pointing session with everyone trying their best to blame someone else.

I guess this really is getting off-topic a bit, I do offer condolences to the families... It was incredibly tragic.

I don't know how any blame can be introduced beyond:

1.) MDR if their responsibility was to keep people 100+ feet away regardless of how hard it would be to do so.

2.) The people crowding the track.

The sad thing is that the driver will have to live with knowing his truck killed 8 people, and to me, he did absolutely nothing wrong, aside from losing control which should have done nothing aside from roll over his truck in a desolate open area- if people wouldn't have been there.

BLM has given the ok for the next race on Sept 11th put on by the promotor MORE. Myself and many others will be heading up there to volunteer to keep people safe. Things will have to change forever to keep desert racing going. This is a good start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's great news.

Thanks for taking the time to help out at the race too:chug:

Back