Issue Installing Superlift. Advice? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issue Installing Superlift. Advice?

Caejxr

Reaction score
City, State
My explorer eats money
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Turbo 4.0 OHV
I got the lift kit and installed it but as my buddy and I were finishing up and going to mount the stock torsion bar cover plates onto the superlift drop brackets they don't fit. :thumbdwn:

Anyone with the lift ran into this problem?

Everything's functional we were able to test drive the truck. But those plates dont mount up to protect those torsion keys and adjuster bolts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

please correct me if im wrong but with the kit from superlift doesnt it eliminate the tortion bar set up???

na that would be like a rcd style lift which isn't made anymore or some sort of coilover conversion has to be done. the superlift kit just has 4" drop brackets for the t- bars.

i slotted the holes so that the covers would fit,,

i could take a look and see if I could they would be pretty big slots though and there are nuts spot welded to the bracket for the attaching hardware so i'd have to grind them off to make slots. Turdle told me the brackets are made to fit 98 and newer models cover plates so I'm thinking the easiest thing will be just to run over to the junk yard next chance I get.

oh ok, i was just a lil confused, how long has it taken you to do the lift yourself?? im looking into doing this let me know how it goes..

gan we all get some pictures lets see your truck

Took close to 18 hours I think. It was most of the work I did myself but I did have some help from a friend probably for half that time. (We slowed down a lot due to a trip to get the air compressor and air tools, Eating, and BS ing.) I'm at school right now so my truck is 6 hours away but I'll be bringing it back Sunday so I'll snap some pick of it soon after to share.

if you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the lift, was it hard to do?
did you get the superlift cv's?

Uhh...lift was about 1789 i think from 4 wheel parts with free shipping. I didn't get the superlift CV drive shaft if thats what you're talking about. I'll probably need to get my front shaft done at a local shop since it's only got about a speck of clearance from rubbing on the t-case and it will be way cheaper than spending the 445 or whatever it was for the superlift brand part. Work wasn't really hard to do the directions aren't too much help if you were hoping for that either. the only time i questioned things was when it came to the metal seals in the spindles and my buddy knew what to do with those everything else was pretty strait forward. AIR TOOLS make the job go sooooooo much faster. I was also sent bolts for the differential drop brackets that were an inch short so I ran to the hardware store rather than waiting to get bolts by complaining. BAsically Just inventory everything throughly before getting started with any lift to be sure you have everything you need so you dont find yourself in a bind somewhere along the line. If you all are anything like I am i hate stopping in the middle of a project I HAVE to finish it as soon as possible every time. hardly ever even take breaks to eat.. so thats my 2 cents.

a little addition here.. I've read else where the shocks they send for the front have rubbed the cv axels due to being too short on the lower end of the shock I noticed that mine were the same as those that have rubbed but as every truck is different It appears as of now I have clearance and can get away with using them until I can do something better preferably a coil over conversion on there. If you can just sell or trash those shocks in my opinion their junk.

why get the superlift shaft, a 1996 Explorer shaft has the double cardan you need, and can be had at a junkyard for cheap,
also 1990 ranger shaft should work too ,

Oh well, Thank you Corkey! That's a peice of knowledge I've never read in here before. Awesome! I'm totally goin to pick one up now when I go to get those plates for the t bar brackets.

also keep in mind i beat my lift up, and rage off road at good speed in 4 wheel, and my shaft has about 20k on it already and no sign of trouble ,
i have even had my rig 4 feet off the ground, no problems , ,

Now you're just getting me excited to get my truck back over here and get that all done so I can start wheeling the bujesus outta it haha.

this was a big mudhole, and taken at about 35 mph just before i got stuck bad enough that i had to get winched by 2 trucks, ,

Attachments

• a111.jpg
    a111.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 219

Thats Pretty much all there is where I go wheelin over in idaho Just mud pits. Looks like fun. Is that with your lift and coil overs?

Dang, I'll bet that extra underbody clearance helps so much. I wanted to order the ORW brackets but while I was at OCS they were discontinued so now I gotta figure out what to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures!

Just some parking lot photos...

Before w/ Shackles and AAl:

th_P1000550.jpg

th_P1000551.jpg

After w/ superlift Shackles and no AAL:

th_P1000643.jpg

th_P1000641.jpg

She's definately in need of some big meats now...Although I'm already starting to get the itch again to make her taller...BL next?:p:

Back