• Register Today It's free!

Ranger t-bars/keys on an Explorer

Camarofan

Reaction score
City, State
South Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
I can't find anything on this, so hopefully you guys can help. I know 98+ Rangers have torsion bars, but i haven't had time to get under my girlfriends to measure. Are Ranger torsion bars the same size as my Explorers? I'm trying to go lower and the only way i can think of are drop keys for a Ranger.

Unless i can safely run the keys resting on the shield covering the adjuster plate and such, or move the adjuster plate down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

re-index the keys ,

you can only lower by so much and then the bumpstops limit the travel,,

after that , it's major $$$$ to go lower,, cause you have to build everything custom,

They're already flipped... someone said to grind them down, but that seems sketchy.

Coming from someone who has no problem cobbling things together.

But, how do you reindex them? or is that flipping them?

edit- i cut the bumpstops out, so they're no longer an issue.

Looking at your last pics I just don't see how you can go any lower and correct camber, ball joint, and CV issues without MAJOR expense and work. Bottoming should be the least of your worries, failing parts and safety is. Keep posted and GL.

Flipped keys..Now what?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432623

balljoints aren't really a problem. I had to crank the driver side up because it was leaning. Cv's might be, but they aren't binding at this point.

Is there a a thread to reindexing?

They make "re-indexed" keys to lower your truck and still have adjustment left so essentially you can install them with no bolts and get all you need. If you need more I would go to the ranger bars like you first thought of, they will be softer and drop with the weight.

I ran flipped keys and no bump stops for a bit. Definitely not the best ride.

Ride doesn't bother me, my girlfriends ranger rides worse... I was thinking 2wd bars, but finding one is hard enough. And I haven't seen any keys, other than a set of eBay keys, but I've seen 5 inch drop keys for a Ranger, so I wanted to make sure they were the same. I'd imagine reindexing would be a pain in the ass, but I just want to go lower, especially since I ended up raising it more than expected with a set of free tires.

Back