Vibration in gas pedal and steering wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration in gas pedal and steering wheel

hamcse924

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 EB Explorer
For the past 3 months, we have been experiencing a low vibration from the gas pedal and steering wheel in our 06 EB Explorer. The vibration "feels" like it is coming from something under the hood. It feels as though in addition to the normal sound/feel of the engine, there is another motor going on, something else is spinning and moving around, causes this vibration.

This vibration is more pronounced at higher speeds/rpms, but it happens at slower speeds also. It comes and goes, and at it's noisiest, is a barely audible hum.

I took the truck to the dealer over a month ago, and it took them 2 test drive to feel what we were feeling. They did not feel the vibration immediately, but then stated that the problem was the radiator fan clutch assembly. It was replaced under Ford ESP warranty.

Problem not solved. The same issue arose on the drive home, but I decided to give it a few days anyway. Circumstances prevented us from taking the truck back to the dealer for 2 weeks.

So we finally did, and this time, they claim they could feel/hear nothing. They did a free wheel balancing, claiming we probably hear noise from the tires! They stated if we feel the issue is still there (it is!) that the next time we must take the test drive with the service manager and point it out to them.

Needless to say, I'm very frustrated by this, and I have no idea how they could not experience the vibrations as we do on a DAILY basis. I will probably will do the test drive with the service manager (when I get the chance!), but until then..

ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I along with a few others have the same issue. I question if it's the harmonic balancer or a bad pulley but I have yet to get a dealer to agree with me. I as well have had them try and blame the tires so they balanced them, rotated them, etc. I have gone for rides and they say they don't feel it, and one time I was getting the feeling pretty well at idle and I was at the dealer so I left the car running and grabbed the service manager who said, oh, that's normal for the explorers. I told him I traded in an F-250 for this and the F-250 was nice and quiet and drove smoother and I had aggressive tires on it. He really didn't know how to respond to that so he just basically said he doesn't know what to tell me.

I feel the same vibration/rubbing sensation in my 07 mountaineer AWD V8. It is felt in the steering wheel and gas pedal and is most apparent around 2000rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. If I let off the gas when its rubbing, it instantly goes away.
I visited the dealer once and they didn't feel it either and said its probably my tires.
I personally think its the front transfer case when the AWD system kicks in during acceleration. I locked my AWD system and can feel the sensation through a broader range of speeds.
I'm not really sure its a problem or not though. I had a Chevy Trailblazer and GMC Envoy and I felt a slight vibration/rubbing sensation when they were in AWD as well.

Hopefully someone can chime in here.
Thanks!

pauly - I did think that it had something to do with transfer case originally, but my explorer isn't AWD, it has that stupid 4 wheel drive that kicks in when it senses you need it aka you start to slide first.

It's been hot as Africa here in Boston and for the heck of it I turned off all vents/ac, etc and drove like that and not only am I not feeling the vibration as much, but my gas mileage has jumped by 3-4mpg and the car responds so much better when I hit the gas. Anyone have thoughts on this? I know having the ac/heat going will be a little draw, but this is pretty significant. Not sure if I should see about having the belts changed or if it could possibly be a sign that maybe a pulley is bad. I even considered switching to a smaller underdrive pullley, but I don't know if $265 for the part plus labor is really worth it since it's just a daily commuter for me.

I have the same electronically controller "AWD" system in my 07 V8 Mountaineer. I studied up a little on the AWD system and from what I understand, it doesn't just kick in when slippage occurs. This is from a Ford press release:

The third type is the on-demand system. An on-demand system is always driving one axle and then drives the other axle as conditions demand. In the case of the Ford Fusion or Ford Edge, the front axle is the primary drive axle. For the Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer, the rear axle is the primary drive axle.

Simple mechanical systems use a clutch to send torque to the secondary drive axle when the primary axle starts to slip. Today’s electronic systems — like those found on all Ford Motor Company cars as well as Ford Explorer and Expedition, the Lincoln Navigator and the V-8 Mercury Mountaineer — use a computer controller that monitors such things as steering angle, accelerator pedal position and engine speed to provide the precise amount of torque, front to rear, as needed.

“What’s really impressive about these systems is that they don’t just react to slip,” says Rodrigues. “They usually prevent that slip from occurring in the first place. By predicting slip and preventing it, the driver doesn’t feel the vehicle slipping and responding. The operation is seamless.”

In my case it feels like AWD is activated during acceleration around 2000rpm and if I let off the accelerator when its occurring, its gone.. I showed this to a ford mechanic and he seems to agree that it is AWD kicking in and of course says its normal drivetrain vibration. I do have to say that my last car was a GMC Envoy and when I locked it into 4WD, I felt the same vibration in the gas pedal and steering wheel along with the slight whining sound.
In the end, I'm not sure if this is really a problem or not. No one at the ford dealer really seems to have a good understanding of the new AWD system in the V8 Explorer/Mountaineer. 2 have told me its an always on mechanical/no electrical system.

Its good to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue. If it really is an issue.

Thanks!

what your feeling is the front driveshaft spining. i was super worried when i felt it the first time too. sometimes they get so bad they have to be balanced. but if its a little as your saying its fine

So does everyone's front drive shaft vibrate during acceleration? Once I'm at speed, it is for the most part gone.

when it becomes out of balance then yes. but as long as it isnt that bad ur fine

This is normal for the v8 explorer, and happens primarily at idle.

Hello Everybody

What was ever found for a solution?

I am having the same issue, but Mine is a v8 with 4 auto.

It usually happens on on-ramps in I beleive 3rd and 4th gear and around the 2000 - 4000 rpm range. It goes away instantly when I let of the gas.

Also, I've tried engagine the 4hi during and I am almost positive that there is no change. Suggesting that the 4 hi is engaging.

I just put all 4 new tires on as I was told that could be the issue, but It still does it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but arn't all of the front end parts moving all of the time? The engagement only happens in the transfer case.

Any suggestions? Could it be engaging 4hi, and why would it?

Tony

For the past 3 months, we have been experiencing a low vibration from the gas pedal and steering wheel in our 06 EB Explorer. The vibration "feels" like it is coming from something under the hood. It feels as though in addition to the normal sound/feel of the engine, there is another motor going on, something else is spinning and moving around, causes this vibration.

This vibration is more pronounced at higher speeds/rpms, but it happens at slower speeds also. It comes and goes, and at it's noisiest, is a barely audible hum.

I took the truck to the dealer over a month ago, and it took them 2 test drive to feel what we were feeling. They did not feel the vibration immediately, but then stated that the problem was the radiator fan clutch assembly. It was replaced under Ford ESP warranty.

Problem not solved. The same issue arose on the drive home, but I decided to give it a few days anyway. Circumstances prevented us from taking the truck back to the dealer for 2 weeks.

So we finally did, and this time, they claim they could feel/hear nothing. They did a free wheel balancing, claiming we probably hear noise from the tires! They stated if we feel the issue is still there (it is!) that the next time we must take the test drive with the service manager and point it out to them.

Needless to say, I'm very frustrated by this, and I have no idea how they could not experience the vibrations as we do on a DAILY basis. I will probably will do the test drive with the service manager (when I get the chance!), but until then..

ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS???

are all your tires the same? make / model / air pressure?

i have to ask tires are the most neglected aspect.

also if you are bored go measure the middle circumference of each tire. are they all with in the same size or are worn differently?

my guess is you need 4 tires. 2 are smaller then the other 2 and you feel a vibration.

this is just a guess since i cant physically see the truck.

hamcse924 how many miles do you have on your truck, is it 4x4?

it might be your front wheel bearings, when you are moving and turn the steering wheel a little bit in either direction can you feel it in the steering wheel?

hamcse924 how many miles do you have on your truck, is it 4x4?

it might be your front wheel bearings, when you are moving and turn the steering wheel a little bit in either direction can you feel it in the steering wheel?

I had my front bearing checked and 1 replaced by my dealer. Still the same problem. I also heard about the circumference issue and I measure my tires and they were pretty much dead on. I still think its something with the transfer case. I'm going to have my dealer look into it again during my next oil change.

Back