• Register Today It's free!

Front of engine squeak

lee2489

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
I developed a squeak in the front of the engine about a year ago. I replace the belt and that helped a tiny bit, but it is back to getting worse. I searched and saw that is could be the cam position sensor. This seems a little beyond my range of skills to replace. Could it be the CPS or possible the belt tensioner? It squeaks when I start it, put it in gear, and accelerate fast from a stop. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I developed a squeak in the front of the engine about a year ago. I replace the belt and that helped a tiny bit, but it is back to getting worse. I searched and saw that is could be the cam position sensor. This seems a little beyond my range of skills to replace. Could it be the CPS or possible the belt tensioner? It squeaks when I start it, put it in gear, and accelerate fast from a stop. Thanks for any help.

Just to try to isolate the noise, I'd say to try a little belt dressing, just to see if it gets quieter at all............It could be the tensioner wheel as well.........you should be able to tell be hosing it down with any liquid, WD-40, PB Blaster, etc...........it that is what it is, at least you'll have isolated it...........other wise your shootin' from the hip...........

i had the same thing on mine...i removed the belt, started for 10 seconds to see if its still squeeks (it did), turned engine off. found out it was the Cam shaft sensor. remove coil pack mount, and its under that....not hard to do, just make sure you buy the sensor with the installation tool. i got mine at Carquest and it came with it for $50...took an hour to do

Alright, thanks. I am really thinking that this might be it now. My tachometer stays at 0 when I start it sometimes and I can hear the engine running. Then after I rev it up or a few seconds passes it will act normal. I will try it this weekend.

I would assume that I need to unplug the battery before removing the coil pack, is that correct? Also, the tool is used to align the new sensor?

Back