Alternator Squeaking: Can it wait? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alternator Squeaking: Can it wait?

You aint even gotta feel bad kid you aint jump down nothin. Good lookin out on having a bit of common sense when it comes to the automobile.

Hard to keep track of what you replaced, returned, cobbled and or kept.

I make the point cause I deal with crap like this on a daily basis, then you get some cheap ***** who want to whine and cry about the price of everything that is being or needs to be repaired on their auto and its just gets so old.
We tell those cutomers "good luck" and never deal with em again.

Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I can understand that. Though, I am personally probably the most organized that you can get. I keep all of my receipts and I log every single expense and maintenance work in an excel spreadsheet. An example would be the new hub. I listed the part, the cost, location purchased, warranty info, mileage when replaced, Next due (N/a in this case) and any additional notes. Then I have a formula that automatically calculates a running total of all of my expenditures on the vehicle. The running total also includes the purchase price of the vehicle, so that way I know right away if it is worth doing certain repairs according to the amount currently invested.

Using a straight edge, try to verify that youre belt tensioner is actually running straight with the belt.

Using a straight edge, try to verify that youre belt tensioner is actually running straight with the belt.

Everything seems to be in good alignment. It has a brand new tensioner, idler, and power steering pump pulley (replaced with pump). I can honestly say that this all began when I heard a couple of squeaks on a sub zero day and then I stupidly put belt dressing on it. I really do believe that there was just residue on the pulleys that is wearing off gradually (and yes I did scrub the pulleys and degrease multiple times). My automotive knowledge has grown substantially since then, and I now feel that the sound is no longer an issue.

Faint whine in alternator

Is a slight or faint whine in an alternator normal? Does the alternator need to be removed to lube the shafts or bearing as you guys where talking about?

Thanks!

Back