Not battery or alternator........what is it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not battery or alternator........what is it

eddiebauer03

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
I recently moved from sea level to a much higher altitude but I don't think that's the cause of my problem. Within the past 6 months, I replaced the battery and cables, transmission, and other steering related parts. The problem is this.....two days in a row, while I was driving, the truck stalled out. It started normally and was driving perfectly fine. After about 5-10 minutes of driving the service engine light turned on and I thought that I just lost power steering. The truck didn't hesitate or make any other noises. In both cases, I pulled over the side and put the truck back into park and it started up normally. I ran the in dash computer and it said that there were no issues with the battery, engine, oil, or anything else. When the truck stalled out the lights remained on so I'm certain that it's not the battery. I have never had any issues like this before. Why would my explorer just quit like that? Totally confused.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should mention that it's automatic transmission....

I had a '94 mercury topaz which did exactly what you describe (randomly quit running, but would restart after a few minutes and run fine again) it was my moms, and she took it to one mechanic after another.. they replaced tons of parts, but couldn't fix the problem. each time it went to one i suggested the "computer"..

well finally i replaced the "computer" and the problem was solved...

now i'm not saying for certain it's a computer malfunction, but the possibility is there.

Sounds like the fuel pump may be going. They sometimes become intermittent before totally crapping out. Check your fuel pressure at the rail. When you say the service engine light came on, did any other lights come on? A fuel pump can go bad w/o setting any codes, service-engine/oil pressure etc lights will come on just because engine stopped.
Hope this helps.

All the lights came on including the service engine light because the engine stopped. I will check the fuel pressure. Thanks.

I would second checking the fuel pressure, as both a faulty fuel pump as well as a faulty fuel pressure regulator can cause random engine stalls. Another item to double-check is the ground straps and cables, as they can cause odd electrical issues if they are loose or are corroded. Good luck!

Tom

What about the ignition mod i had same prob and thats what it was . You can get it tested at advanced auto parts .
Posted via Mobile Device

Back