battery light on acceleration. Solved finally | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

battery light on acceleration. Solved finally

Mattm6555

Reaction score
City, State
Midland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford explorer base v
02 ford explorer 4x4 xlt battery light on acceleration and intermediate at idea 3 alternators this year! Battery test fine cannot find problem in fuse panels help please im running into a brick wall over and over this has been an electrical problem that has caused dimming and shutters to all lights radio volume engine stalls sometimes like i said 3 alternators and battery test fine 3 times in a row fuses under dash and hood check don't know where to check next

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s probably in the wiring if you’ve had 3 new alternators and none worked.

It’s probably in the wiring if you’ve had 3 new alternators and none worked.
They work for a few days and then the battery like comes back and flickers on and off ... by time a week or 2 go but the light comes on when foot is touching gas buy time a month goes by the gage for the charging system goes to the bottom while on the gas then returns to normal when braking or coasting I've checked grounds have a draw ing system but do now know how to check how large of of one with my dvom skilled with motors and parts around the car but electrical is not my cup of tea

Belt slip
Maybe........

Belt slip
Maybe........
We just had in shop for 4 days and would think the mechanics there would tell us if we needed a new belt after testing the 2nd alternator I installed

You’d think a competent mechanic would find any problem after 4 days.

You’d think a competent mechanic would find any problem after 4 days

You’d think a competent mechanic would find any problem after 4 days.
Yeah you would im decent and can normally troubleshoot a fix engine or parts around the car this has been the worse car I've ever worked on for me

Check your grounds. I had the same problem with my bronco a few years back and one actually caught on fire. You don’t want that obviously. what my outcome was is that I had a bad ground to the frame. Went through 4 alternators and that 4th caught fire.

Check your grounds. I had the same problem with my bronco a few years back and one actually caught on fire. You don’t want that obviously. what my outcome was is that I had a bad ground to the frame. Went through 4 alternators and that 4th caught fire.
Working on grounds right now found one bad and its gotten hot checking wire continuity and looking for scorching dose anyone know how to check fuseable links

Okay so fixed ground .... got 3rd altenator 2 weeks ago going to have tested to see if good on start battery light off as engine idled down i watch from the charging post and battery both within .2 volts of each other go from 13.75 when light came on and steady continued to drop off to autozone to make sure all still good

Working on grounds right now found one bad and its gotten hot checking wire continuity and looking for scorching dose anyone know how to check fuseable links
Okay so fixed ground .... got 3rd altenator 2 weeks ago going to have tested to see if good on start battery light off as engine idled down i watch from the charging post and battery both within .2 volts of each other go from 13.75 when light came on and steady continued to drop off to autozone to make sure all still good
Awesome man! Crazy how little things mess up so much and give the biggest headaches.

You check fusible links with an ohm meter or test light. If the battery is charging at all the link is good.

You check fusible links with an ohm meter or test light. If the battery is charging at all the link is good.
Ok thats how I did it was ohms just wanted to make sure electrical is not my forte

Alt bad #4 gonna throw some money at it and buy a battery 2

Get a better brand of alternator...

Get a better brand of alternator...
No warranty out for the 3rd time but this time I fir the cause for the regular to stop working hopefully ill let yell know in about 20 mins

I'm ready to pour some gas on her and have a bon fire ... while doing alternator I noticed on seem of my belt was falling off some I changes it ran great 14.72v at start up and about 14.56 what engine idled down then noticed where the beat runs on ac clutch was not spinning nor was the tensioner pully so I tapped softly on the 2 and then still nothing pulled relay 51 for the clutch tapped it a couple time put it back in started again .... ac clutch spun.... back 2 11v of charge and battery light back full time .... who wants to grill out

Replace the idler and short belt it. Any time a belt driven item is suspected bad the entire front dress should be inspected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back