• Register Today It's free!

99 explorer question

CMcCormick

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
So I just finished my roof lights and ordered a few more parts today. I was looking into lifting my explorer. I just want a body lift though because I am not spending a couple grand on a suspension. So I am looking for a simple 3 inch body lift, anyone know where I could buy one? I have a 4 wheel drive, 4 door explorer and I found this among my searches, Lift Kit The 883 that was posted here but all I found were sports lifted so I am not sure if that would work.

Also, would it be better to get a cargo basket for my roof and throw my spare tire in there, or work on a bumper that could put it on a swing away?

All the help is appreciated.

-Colton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 883 will work. I recommend the 2" BL I'm installing (p/n PA-792) as we speak if you don't want your undercarriage "gut" to hang (as much) when you're done.

Couldn't tell you about the basket vs tire gate situation, sounds like preference.

Also, check the sticky'd threads at the top of this board, you'll find mountains of information about lifting there.

Also, I'd be very interested/grateful to see some pictures and a list of parts for your roof light install

I actually just finished custom fabricating it with some tubing. I can grab some pictures for you now and post them here. Thanks for the lift information.

29c5huf.jpg
The image is a little blurry.

That is it with just the base coat down, I am going to paint it black then add my 4 lights and then I will bolt it to the roof.

My parents looked at me weird when I asked for steel tubing and a new welder for Christmas haha, but that's what I fabbed up Christmas day.

haha That's awesome. Looks good, definitely keep us posted as you go, and let us know what you decide to do about lifting. Definitely start with the tried and true torsion twist for 1.5" in the front (free; can't go any higher with the 4WD's for fear of binding CV axles) and the shackles in the rear for about an inch or so (about $80 after shipping; some here claim 2" but I call BS after seeing before/after on a 4x AND a 2wd in person)

I will, I have some ideas on my explorer, being 16 I have minimum money to go with right now, so my paychecks are going to be funding my project. I will keep everyone posted with some pictures and what I am doing.

Thanks for the advice on the lift!

curious - how are you attaching the roof light bar? is it mounting to the factory roof rack or is it bolting on by drilling holes in the roof. and great Fab job! the welding and joints with the tubing looks great

Back