• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Keypad Code 01 Exp.Sport

sport01

Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01Sport
I have 2001 Explorer Sport and looking for the location of the anti-theft module. I did read the thread and in one post, it said about its location to be in the left rear storage compartment. I could not find mine and looked at few places.

Does anyone know about it? I need to get the code without going to the dealership.Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take the jack panel off and look forward. You'll see a little box with cables. That's the box that has the door code written on it.

^ is NOT right for an '01 sport, at least mine. I had to remove the pass side air bag. The box with code your are looking for is in the dash.

Scott,

I appreciate your response. I still have not touched the air bag. It seems the air bag lid should comeout easily and must have some sort of snapping device. I do not want to use much force. Can you share your experience? Through the glove box I did see one while module on the left side . Is this the one?

I removed the cowl trim on top of the dash and then shined a flashlight into behind the dash and I was able to read my keycode on the box no problem, didn't have to remove the passenger airbag at all.

The air bag is BOLTED in. Stop/read/understand before you FUBAR it and injure yourself ! !

READ HERE

Keyless Pad code

I am totally lost on this. I have 2001 Sport. I followed the thread to locate the RAP unit to read the code. I tried the jack storage as recommended but no luck. I wanted to remove the cowl trim on the top of the dash and above the glovebox and then I got my Service Manual. Per service manual, it is supposed to be inside the left rear panel and to access , we have to remove the panel, seatbelt mountings etc. I do not mind doing it but wonder whether some one has different experience.I will appreciate some leads.

I am inclined to follow the Service Manual unless hear otherwise.

I do not know if there is a "Job 1" & a "Job 2" 2001 in the Sport as there is in the Sport Trac. The security module on Job 1 Sport Tracs is center of the back panel whereas Job 2-'05 it's behind the passenger air bag. I cannot say with certainty on your 2001 that it IS behind the bag. The defrost vent is not difficult to pop off and see if the cream colored box is in there.

So, is there a Job 1 & 2 Sport in 2001 ???? Bueller ......Bueller .........Bueller?????????

I have a 2001 sport job2 and it was under the cowl panel right in plain site. I also had checked in the rear compartment before, as the earlier models, and I think some job1's had it there but I found my module and code under the cowl panel on the dash.

In my 01 Sport it was in the back just to the front of where the jack is supposed to be. I had to pull the panel out beside the back seat and use a good flashlight to see it but it was in bold numbers on top of the RAP module.

I am totally lost on this. I have 2001 Sport. I followed the thread to locate the RAP unit to read the code. I tried the jack storage as recommended but no luck. I wanted to remove the cowl trim on the top of the dash and above the glovebox and then I got my Service Manual. Per service manual, it is supposed to be inside the left rear panel and to access , we have to remove the panel, seatbelt mountings etc. I do not mind doing it but wonder whether some one has different experience.I will appreciate some leads.

I am inclined to follow the Service Manual unless hear otherwise.

I "think" this is the deciding factor on the location of the module.There are two names for the module that controls the remote/keypad/locks. These modules control other things also.

Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) Module—Module-Controlled Vehicles Built Before 7/24/2000
This is located in the rear body behind the trim panel, as some here have noted.

Vehicle Security Module—Module-Controlled Vehicles Built After 7/24/2000
This is located in the dash behind the passenger air bag, as others have noted.

Sooooooooo, build date of 7/24/2000 seems to be the split.;)

Back