YAY NEW 04 but 2 questions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

YAY NEW 04 but 2 questions?

ff/emt

Reaction score
Hey I have a 2004 xlt and have two quick questions. The first is an ac issue, my hot/cold knob is set on the coldest setting but if I move it even a little I start to hear an annoying popping noise and the temp doesnt change at all, what would be the cause of this? Second thing is my rear wipper fluid doesnt spray any ideas?
Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1). The actuator for the temperature blend door could be defective or broken. or the temperature blend door itself could be broken.
2). Have someone try the rear washer while you listen under the hood to see if the pump motor is running. It could just be a bad pump.

Hey I have a 2004 xlt and have two quick questions. Second thing is my rear wipper fluid doesnt spray any ideas?
Thanks guys

Could be a problem with the hose: make sure it is connected at the pump and the nozzle, the nozzle: make sure it isn't clogged, the pump: see below, or the relays/fuses: see below. I have an '02. This info should be the same for your '04.

My pump wasn't working on my '02 when I bought it in February. I got the part at the dealer. I think it was around $20. It took me about 20 minutes to change it out. It's located near the bottom of the reservoir towards the front of the vehicle. There are 2 hoses that are just pushed on and an electrical connection. The pump is just pushed into the reservoir. All parts required where included. I think it even came with instructions. Here is a diagram. #8 is the pump, #9 is the pump seal:

Dead Link Removed

Here is the info on the fuses/relays from my '02 manual. I would recommend checking your owner's manual for correct locations of fuses/relays. If you don't have one Dead Link Removed.

In the fuse panel under the dash #8 is a 30A fuse that feeds you front & rear washer pump relays. If your front washer works then this fuse must be good.

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

Relays 1-7 are located on the back side of the fuse panel. Relay #6 is for the rear washer pump. It is a PITA to get to these. The manual says to remove the fuse panel for access.

Hope this helps out and it is not too confusing. - Rondo

The rear wiper fluid did not work on my 04 as well I think the diagram is very helpful above but all i did was follow the line behind the back inside panal from the output on the rear outside light i didnt see a problem so i did somthin stupid but it work i took the hose and disconnected it from nozzle and blew on it back toward thefront of the car basically back flushing it with air ...well I just filled the fluid up all the way i heard leaking...I blew a simple rubber connecter off...and flooding the inside panal on the right side so i dried it all up and reconnected the hose. I filled the now empty washer fluid back up and it works fine...I dont have pictures but if you need more clarification just as i dont suggest buying anything untill you blow it out only with you mouth i think anything harder may blow some more rubber hose sealers..nothing thats break able its the rubber cylinder that u just stuff a hose in one end and the other hose in the other end. I think the problem was jus some gunk stuck in there...and i blew it out. I also have a ticking noise and have gotten the same reply about the blend door but mine still works just makes a annoying slick ticking everyso often when i dont return the knobs to thier center position when not in use .

search for blend door actuator . It is a post with at least 10 pages.

good luck

Could be a problem with the hose: make sure it is connected at the pump and the nozzle, the nozzle: make sure it isn't clogged, the pump: see below, or the relays/fuses: see below. I have an '02. This info should be the same for your '04.

My pump wasn't working on my '02 when I bought it in February. I got the part at the dealer. I think it was around $20. It took me about 20 minutes to change it out. It's located near the bottom of the reservoir towards the front of the vehicle. There are 2 hoses that are just pushed on and an electrical connection. The pump is just pushed into the reservoir. All parts required where included. I think it even came with instructions. Here is a diagram. #8 is the pump, #9 is the pump seal:

Dead Link Removed

Here is the info on the fuses/relays from my '02 manual. I would recommend checking your owner's manual for correct locations of fuses/relays. If you don't have one Dead Link Removed.

In the fuse panel under the dash #8 is a 30A fuse that feeds you front & rear washer pump relays. If your front washer works then this fuse must be good.

Relays 1-7 are located on the back side of the fuse panel. Relay #6 is for the rear washer pump. It is a PITA to get to these. The manual says to remove the fuse panel for access.

Hope this helps out and it is not too confusing. - Rondo

Big Rondo, I was wondering if you might have another diagram concerning the routing of the tube to the rear wiper tube? Mine has sprung a leak just aft of the front passenger tire, but I can't find the line....I had it up on the lift the other day for some other stuff, I didn't want to tear into looking for it, but was wondering if there was something detailing where the line was...

Big Rondo, I was wondering if you might have another diagram concerning the routing of the tube to the rear wiper tube? Mine has sprung a leak just aft of the front passenger tire, but I can't find the line....I had it up on the lift the other day for some other stuff, I didn't want to tear into looking for it, but was wondering if there was something detailing where the line was...

I saw one on here. I'll try to locate it and point you that way. Happy Holidays. :party:

Don't suppose you ever found that layout detail?

Sorry, forgot all about this thread. Go to www.fordpartsgiant.com. Type in your VIN in the upper right section of the page in the Search parts by VIN box. The click on search. When the new page opens select the following in the choices on the left:

Group: Body And Paint
Subgroup: Wipers And Washers

Then highlight: Rear Window Wiper And Washer

That should give you a pretty good diagram.

Hope this helps out! :thumbsup:

Sorry, forgot all about this thread. Go to www.fordpartsgiant.com. Type in your VIN in the upper right section of the page in the Search parts by VIN box. The click on search. When the new page opens select the following in the choices on the left:

Group: Body And Paint
Subgroup: Wipers And Washers

Then highlight: Rear Window Wiper And Washer

That should give you a pretty good diagram.

Hope this helps out! :thumbsup:

excellent link. I might be able to figure out the rear routing form the front wiper diagrams...the rear routing diagrams stop about middle of the vehicle...my problem exists forward of the passenger seat, but behind the wheel wheel.....i am guessing it's the valve and grommet assembly that froze and burst....

Good luck to you. I don't envy your task. ;)

Back