Blind Spot Info System | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blind Spot Info System

I love the BLIS on our our Limited. The light does catch your attention, especially at night, but I don't find it distracting at all, and that's what it's meant to do.

Just the other day I was driving and had noticed it go off a few times, after which I saw the cars that triggered it. All of a sudden I saw the light go off and stay lit. I looked in my side mirror, and rear, and glanced over my shoulder quickly wondering what had set the BLIS off because I knew there was no car there. A second or so later a small (low profile) sport car zipped by me. I was so surprised because I didn't think there was any chance a car had set the BLIS off, I thought it was something else entirely. My motto now it trust BLIS until it's proven wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BLIS opinion

I purchased my EX XLT with BLIS this March. It is a great safety feature. After six weeks of use, I am glad I selected the option.

Had a weird incident happen with mine yesterday. The BLISS lights in both mirrors stayed on. There was a message in the left display that said something to the effect that the BLISS is blocked. See owner's manual.
It was raining lightly and there was some fine moisture on the mirrors. I was also stopped in a left turn lane waiting for oncoming traffic to clear and there was a sign post on the island immediately to my left. I stopped in at a store, came back out, started it up and everything was back to normal. Did not clean any water off the mirrors in case anyone was wondering! :scratch:

The BLISS sensors are not in the mirror, they're in the rear bumper. If they get covered with dirt or are up close to something they will not function properly.

The BLISS sensors are not in the mirror, they're in the rear bumper. If they get covered with dirt or are up close to something they will not function properly.
Thanks JDraper. Of course you're correct. I guess I didn't think that one through. Curious as to why they worked a little while later when I restarted the Ex. I can't see being too close to an object as being the problem but I'm no expert, obviously. On the way home today, the car in the left lane on the highway caused the BLISS light to stay on for almost 2 minutes before he finally pulled away. I was also caught in a heavier downpour a few days ago with no BLISS problem.
Another one of those little hic-cups maybe? If it happens again I'll be sure to check my surroundings again. Thanks again and Happy Easter!:)

Well since it was raining, you could have kicked enough road grime up to block the sensor enough that it didn't work, and then driving in the rain washed it back off. It was probably getting a signal back that was so close in time to the emitted signal that the processor thought it might be a fault.

Had a weird incident happen with mine yesterday. The BLISS lights in both mirrors stayed on. There was a message in the left display that said something to the effect that the BLISS is blocked. See owner's manual.
It was raining lightly and there was some fine moisture on the mirrors. I was also stopped in a left turn lane waiting for oncoming traffic to clear and there was a sign post on the island immediately to my left. I stopped in at a store, came back out, started it up and everything was back to normal. Did not clean any water off the mirrors in case anyone was wondering! :scratch:

There is a building I pass that seems to block the sensors (both lights stay on and I get the error message) and it stays that way until I start the car again. It's only when I drive Eastbound vs. Westbound past the building. It is a medical building, so all I can think of is that some of their equipment emits something that conflicts with the sensors.

Totally bizarre.

Hey,
I have the BLIS and don't mind it. Works well. When I was driving downtown today it said it wasn't working as it was blocked. This also happened with the cruise control.

Reason for the BLIS warning, I think was sitting to close to a parked car for a period of time.

Reason for the cruise control IMO is a bit of freezing rain we had.

Here's my beef. After I pulled off the busy street, BLIS stayed locked up. Same goes for the cruise. They worked fine for the rest of the day, but only after I restarted the EX. Anyone here any of these concerns before? Cheers

I haven't had much experience with BLIS but I definitely like it. I always check my mirrors and the BLIS light is just added comfort in the big Explorer. You still need to look at the mirror to see the indicator light, so really it is not a change in behavior, just more information.

Back