Chains or knock? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chains or knock?

yea I checked it, not play at all. I am thinking its a valve issue, I heard it pretty good echoing off a wall yesterday at about 3000 rpms with a pretty decent load on the motor. I am going to get a stethoscope and listen more closely. When I bought the car it did not make this noise, but did after I changed the oil. I use valvoline synpower 10-30 and I had a Mobil one oil filter. I always thought it was my chain tensioners because at first start up it makes quite a bit of noise. Ill have to take a video today. When I first start the car and the oil pressure is low (for 1 second) everything makes noise. it worries me because I have never had these kind of issues before. I replaced the oil pump in my bronco when I rebuilt the motor, and when I started it for the first time, it didn't make any noise at all. I also replaced the timing chain on my bronco, but thats a little easier then these engines. I have since then used a motorcraft filter, thinking the bypass valve wasn't spec'd properly, and I still get the same noise, although may not be as bad.

How much do these SOHC engines usually run for on craigslist? Lol

Back