Adding DVD and ambient lighting to XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding DVD and ambient lighting to XLT

rsteen82

Reaction score
City, State
Edwards AFB ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I just got my candy red XLT 201A and I love it! I didn't want to pay $2k for DVD headrests, and decided to wait and do it aftermarket. Any suggestions on how to do this right? If I do it aftermarket, does it affect the warranty? Also, any suggestions on putting it on the ceiling versus the fron seat headrests? I'm thinking putting it on the ceiling would make it better for third row passengers.

I am also thinking about having my local Ford dealership add the ambient lighting kit to my Explorer, but the over $500 price tag is hefty. Anyone have this done?

:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ambient lighting shouldnt be difficult to accomplish, diy or self installing the kit.

The difficulty with diy is cutting the hole to fit a rectangular led. Otherwise parts shouldnt cost more than $10.

I would check fordparts.com for the interior kit to see what comes in the package. Again shouldnt be time consuming to installbecause it would likelygo in the overhead console

As for adding the ambient lighting, the kit you get is only the foot wells and the cup holders and I don't believe there are as many color choices. I remember seeing that on a different thread here somewhere. Not the same as the package in the Limited. It would be interesting to see how difficult the DVD install would be. Does anyone know what's involved in the install?

Regarding the DVD install, have you considered alternatives to a dedicated system?

Some ideas:
-Portable DVD player and seatback/headrest mount. Easily done for $100-$500.
-Apple iPad/Asus Transformer/____ plus headrest mount(s). Much more expensive than the first option but so much better in every way as you can do so much with a portable computer.

There are a couple of earlier threads on here where we discussed the aftermarket Audio/Video systems.

IPad mounting systems are also in the threads.

Check EBay for Invision and Viziologic OEM systems

We bought a $60 portable DVD player and rest it on the console between the two front seats. We only have one toddler, so that works fine. Even if the thing breaks every year, it is still a bargain. And you can take it out of the Ex and bring it wherever you are going.

The Ford DVD headrests were a huge rip job. No offense if anyone bought them, as I'm sure they are nice...but really. $2 grand for that?? Geez.

I'm having the ambient lighting installed on an XLT. It's a $270 option either factory installed or the dealer can order the kit and do the install. It's the same price, $270 with installation. It has switchable 7 colors, in cup holders & the floor like the Limited has. The only difference is on the Limited you control it through the MyTouch screen, on the XLT it has a switch on the dash like the Fusions do. Other than that it's the same thing, looks the same & functions the same. There's a picture of it on the Ford Explorer web site. Build an Explorer then when you get to accessories, click on the interior lighting kit and you'll see what it looks like.

Order number

Salcar, do you know what order number a dealer uses to order it? The Ford page doesn't have it. I checked with three dealerships (comparison shopping) before I ordered and none of them could find the order number so I didn't include it, but it sure looks cool! If I could find the number, I might be tempted to add it yet! Thanks!

Adding DVD/Ambient Lighting to XLT

I'm having the ambient lighting installed on an XLT. It's a $270 option either factory installed or the dealer can order the kit and do the install. It's the same price, $270 with installation. It has switchable 7 colors, in cup holders & the floor like the Limited has. The only difference is on the Limited you control it through the MyTouch screen, on the XLT it has a switch on the dash like the Fusions do. Other than that it's the same thing, looks the same & functions the same. There's a picture of it on the Ford Explorer web site. Build an Explorer then when you get to accessories, click on the interior lighting kit and you'll see what it looks like.

How much did they charge for installation of the ambient lighting. I ordered the same accessory!

It's not the same thing as the limited's ambient lighting package. The dealer ambient lighting add-on only includes the cupholder LED rings and a lightbar for each front footwell.
The limited's ambient lighting package has LED's in both footwells, the front door handle pulls, the front door side "pockets", inside the center console, the cupholders and on the rear of the center console to light up the HVAC controls and the rear footwells.

I've talked to a couple dealers who are telling me the kit costs $270, but then installation is extra! Do you have some insight?

To those interested in lighting kits:

Here is the link on FordParts.com for the Ambient Lighting Kit, http://www.FordParts.com/Commerce/C...HaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr.

Here is the link on FordAccessoriesStore.com for the Interior Light Kit, http://www.FordAccessoriesStore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Explorer~2011~8L8Z_13E700_AA

Please notice that they are two different kits, same concept but the Interior Light Kit only includes one LED-generated light in the cupholder area and a light bar in the front foot wells. However, you can scroll between seven colors.

I hope this information was helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

~Seni

To those interested in lighting kits:

Here is the link on FordParts.com for the Ambient Lighting Kit, http://www.FordParts.com/Commerce/C...HaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr.

Here is the link on FordAccessoriesStore.com for the Interior Light Kit, http://www.FordAccessoriesStore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Explorer~2011~8L8Z_13E700_AA

Please notice that they are two different kits, same concept but the Interior Light Kit only includes one LED-generated light in the cupholder area and a light bar in the front foot wells. However, you can scroll between seven colors.

I hope this information was helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

~Seni

Actually, I believe this is incorrect...they are not 2 different kits. If you look on FordParts.com, the Ambient lighting kit complete is listed as part number 13E700 for $270.00.
The link for FordAccessoriesStore.com has the part number as 8L8Z-13E700-AA for that kit. The 13E700 in the part number is the same as the kit from ford parts. This is what is included in the dealer installed ambient lighting kit:

Ambientlighting.jpg

It is missing the front door latch LED's, the side storage LED's and also the rear control / footwell LED's. So unless you can get ahold of the additional LED harnesses that come in the limited (13C724 for each door and 14E076 for the rear), you're only going to light up the front footwells and the cupholders.

Ambient Lighting Update

Can additional harnesses be purchased & added to the Ambient LED Kit so both cup holders are lit up in the XLT. Since I'll put all this effort into running these wires for the initial kit, it seems adding one more light for the cup holder would be just as easy?? Thoughts....?

Hmm...I think until someone springs the cash to try we might not know for sure if the full kit can be done.

I just bought my Explorer and got the dealer to put it in after. They gave me the full kit for $399 installed. If this helps

I just bought my Explorer and got the dealer to put it in after. They gave me the full kit for $399 installed. If this helps

Full kit?

So this is all lights that come In the limited? Cup holders, foot wells, door handles, door pockets and the rear ones? And how are they controlled?
Is there a part number?

Thanks for any more info you can add...

rsteen82

I found a great replacement for the factory headrest DVD system.

Audiovox Advent DD7012 dual DVD headrest system is $1150 shipped to your door with $50 game module and controllers included.

I installed these in my wife's 2013 Acadia Denali, In my opinion they are superior to the OEM Ford Invision ones for 1/2 price.

I wish I had found them when I ordered my OEM ones, they are an exact match to the interior leather right down to the stitching size and colour.

I bought through www.autospatech.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back