Max AC not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Max AC not working

jjotero

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello ya'll - I have a 97 Ford Explorer which I did the blend door fix on over the weekend and voila, I have temp control and AC versus heat fixed. On my drive back to the house from my pops (he has all the tools) :), I turned the knob to Max AC and it stayed the same as Norm AC for a few seconds and then all of a sudden started blowing through the defrost vents.

From my research here, I'm thinking it's a vacuum issue but am wondering where I should start and just need a nudge / kick in the right direction.

This is a fantastic site. I'm planning on replacing a serpentine belt to see if it gets rid of some chatter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this same issue too. It was a vaccum problem under the dash on the passenger side. Look for any loose connections/hoses..

I highly recommend removing the front passenger seat for this. You can just lay in the floor and prop your legs up on the back seat. MUCH easier on your back, too. ;)

I am now a novice at taking out my passenger seat. After fixing the vacuum issue, I will be an expert. :p:

Gonna slide in there tonight and will report back ya'll.

I went under the passenger side dash and checked all the connections and they all seem to be connected properly. When I move the temp control from Norm AC to Max AC, I don't see the Recirc door move at all.

Any other pointers? Could it be the vacuum thing that is suppose to pull the recirc door?

Anybody got any suggestions?
I know this is an old post, did you ever find out a fix? I have a similar issue. The max ac engages sometimes, and sometime if I hit a bump it will engage I have no idea why, but would love to have a dependable max ac.

Cheers!

Joel

Back