AC only works on "MAX AC" on max fan setting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC only works on "MAX AC" on max fan setting

pharrout

Reaction score
City, State
western North Carolina mountains, Franklin
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT AWD
My AC decided to start getting weird on me and only come on in MAX AC mode and on the highest fan setting. Its like having it switched off on any lower fan setting and if I put it on "AC" it starts blowing hoy air. All other settings only blow on high fan as well. Whats going on here? Thanks for any help :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the Heater/AC control panel from a near by junk yard and install it. Should be about $10-$15. I have an extra unit for a 94 Explorer with me if you cant find one.

Cool deal....I'll check into it and if I cant find anything I will give you a hollar. =D

probably the blower motor resistor.. it is under the hood. on the passender side.. check it.. they are a poort design and cause it only to work on high or low when they go out..

Well, I checked the wire hanesses and pulled the AC control unit out and all seems well......nothing melted or appearing to be in any "discomfort". I guess that resistor is fubar. I assume I need to replace the whole blower unit for this to be fixed?

Hey... what happened... did you fix it?

This is my story, 2 days ago I was driving with the AC on at speed 1, and all the sudden white smoke start coming out the vents. I pulled over and turned everything off. After checking the AC out I noticed that it will only work on the max speed also. It won't even blow in any other speed.

So I guess the resitor is fried and it only works at the max speed because for that speed it gets the whole voltage directly. Is there a DIY writeup on how to change the resistor? Also does anybody know the part number for this resistor?

Thanks... and pharrout please keep us updated.

Thanks!!.... by any chance anybody knows the part # and how much will it cost?

Back