I have spark and fuel pressure at the rail, but it only starts with starting fluid. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have spark and fuel pressure at the rail, but it only starts with starting fluid.

douggerfwa

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ranger
Just changed engines old one had 190,000 plus miles.
Found used 1995 2.3 with less than 50,000 miles for my 1996 ranger. Put on new timing belt,thermostat and plugs before installing replacement engine. 99.96% sure timing is right. I have spark and fuel pressure at the rail. Engine cranks fine and healthy but will not fire. Will however will fire using starting fluid. I do not know how long engine sat before I bought it, was just told it was tested and ok. Bought from reliable used parts supplier. Looking at fuel injectors is next step, but can not imagine all four not working. Engine wiring harness is off old engine. I think all connections including injectors are hooked up right. I have had this truck for over ten years so it is me, I don't fit in anything but my Ranger. I also have an issue with my clutch pedal, first time I pushed by hand went to floor (no pressure) second pump firm and will not push down. I am hoping the hydralic line connector may have come loose. I didn't pull tranny all the way out, just let it rest on cross member for engine swap. I did put in a new clutch disc as the old one had a lot of ware. I thank you for any advice you may have thanks again for your time and input. Doug

when spraying starting fluid does it run well or rough. the injectors could seize up with exposure to moisture. do the plugs get wet with fuel when you crank it over, if they are wet do they smell like gas or weaker gas, or something else. if it runs rough when you use starting fluid, you can pull the valve cover and check TDC, both valves of #1 cylinder will be closed. timing belts are tricky, never done one on your motor though. this will at least get you a bump.

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the Ranger section. Check the fuel pressure with a test gauge. You might have a clogged fuel filter, bad pressure regulator, or a pinched fuel line.

Back