5.0 oil filter problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 oil filter problem

I know CDW....but I couldn't sleep at night doing that! LOL It would drive me nuts. My bad habit, I know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know, we all have issues, that's nothing. The guys who cut off battery terminals bother me the most, or call an air cleaner an intake.

i realize that after posting the problem a week ago, you no doubt have this fixed, but I'll still throw in my two cents. Beware of the "tech shop" oil filters. For some reason, probably job security, they always use a slick-sided filter. I had the same problem you had with my very first oil change. Since then I've used the "Sure-grip" type. Even when I had a problem with the pan plug and had to take it to a shop, I gave them the filter to install and they did. I've never had a problem removing a filter by hand after that very first time. Just a small, insignificant piece of advice.

Ya it's taken care of, but still, thanks for the input. I'm planning to use the sure-grip type in the future.

are you using a long fliter or the just a short one?

i know the one that was on the car when i bought it was like 3 inches longer then a stock filter, its like a damn jig saw puzzle trying to take the larger ones out, now that im running a shorter can ive seemed to mess somthin up and now my timing chain doenst seemed to get lubed correctly. anyone else use the larger filters? i cant seem to find them anywhere. >_<

umm.. the longer filter (L30001, FL-1A, PH8A) is standard thread i beleive, the shorter filter which is what is called for on my 97 v8 at least (L24651, FL-820S, PH2) is metric thread. am i saying that right? either way i beleive youre spose to have a shorter filter on your 96.

there is a cap at your local wall mart that sits on top the filter and has a place on top of the cap you can put a wrench or socket and it easly turns the filter thats what it took for mine and it was really on there good

You ought to try a nissan 200sx oil change-I still get oil in my armpits from that one--After about 8 of them I still haven't figgered it out-

My sister just got an 07 Honda Si - great car, but holy cow is that oil filter a royal PITA to change. Oil spills all over the CV and tie rod boots, and forget getting a wrench on the filter.

The 5.0 isn't mess-free, but it's not too bad as cars go.

same problem - getting shop to do it - at end of rope

Ive got the same problem. or I think so... after a day and a half or so of trying to get the filter off on my 5.0 97 explorer - and using ALL the methods available to get it off - I made progress and suddenly leaking coolant - DISASTER. anyways Ive read much about what this could mean but I'm wondering if any of you have any advice from own personal experience. Getting it towed to dealer today. what was supposed to be a textbook 15 min job has taken 2 days now and i'm giving up. brutal stuff. so demoralizing...

what do you guys think,

Steve

The 5.0 isn't mess-free, but it's not too bad as cars go.

Here's a quick trick that is really easy. Take a piece of tin foil, and mold it into the shape of a trough or funnel. Place it under the filter and the oil will run down the foil to your pan. I've done this for years and I swear I've never spilled a drop on the vehicle. When you're done, wad up the foil and toss it in the trash.

Ive got the same problem. or I think so... after a day and a half or so of trying to get the filter off on my 5.0 97 explorer - and using ALL the methods available to get it off - I made progress and suddenly leaking coolant - DISASTER. anyways Ive read much about what this could mean but I'm wondering if any of you have any advice from own personal experience. Getting it towed to dealer today. what was supposed to be a textbook 15 min job has taken 2 days now and i'm giving up. brutal stuff. so demoralizing...

what do you guys think,

Steve

I'm not an engine guy, but the only thing that comes to mind if oil and coolant are mixed is a blown head gasket.

And I do that tin foil trick every time! I still manage to make a mess no matter how many preventative steps I take, but at least it's easy. And I always put a little oil on the gasket before installing the new filter, and I never have a problem anymore.

Coolant leaking now...

Don't forget that the 5 liter uses a coolant fed oil cooler...If the filter was that tight, one of the hoses or the housing is probably leaking....

what do you guys think,

Steve
:mad:Bahhhhh! I feel for you guys. I've had a few Fords where the filter can be a real ***** to get at properly, and I've used relocation kits since the early 90's on my Mustangs.
What's worse is using a premium filter like the K&N.
They are a great filter, but for whatever reason, their gasket material is firmer than most regular filters, so they require a little more twist to snug them up or they will always leak a little making a mess under your truck or car over time.
On my 4.0, the filter is not the most terrible to get to, and being completely vertical you don't get your hand drenched in oil taking it off (or putting it on prefilled), but there's not a whole lot of room to get your meat hooks on it to give it a good twist, and there's not tons of room to swing a wrench either, at least with the heat shields on my truck.
Thank god for the wrenchable fitting on the filter, though I really don't like to use it to snug up the filter.

Don't forget that the 5 liter uses a coolant fed oil cooler...If the filter was that tight, one of the hoses or the housing is probably leaking....

Those coolers are not on all models.

The older coolers used to have issues with internal leaks, so do not condemn an engine(or head gaskets) if you find coolant in the oil.

The oil filter adapters can be changed, to other versions or to/from metric filters. Their is a block adapter(the big bolt) which is threaded into the block. It takes a large Allen head tool to remove it. Remember that if you swap an Explorer engine to another vehicle, or vice-verse.

To help keep things clean on some of the vehicles, once I get a filter to move some (when I'm changing the oil) I then stab it with a screw driver. That way it will drain right there and its a little more controlled. I make much less of a mess that way..

I've also used the stab in the side method to remove filters before, but I prefer not to do that. Once you stab it on the side so you can take it off you are committed AND, if its really tight you can actually rip the filter apart without taking it off which would be really bad.

~Mark

Those coolers are not on all models.

The older coolers used to have issues with internal leaks, so do not condemn an engine(or head gaskets) if you find coolant in the oil.

The oil filter adapters can be changed, to other versions or to/from metric filters. Their is a block adapter(the big bolt) which is threaded into the block. It takes a large Allen head tool to remove it. Remember that if you swap an Explorer engine to another vehicle, or vice-verse.

yeah I took it to ford eventually and it was cross-threaded and no oil used for the seal they said.. was also the wrong filter! anyways it was a hell of a job and the oil cooler was damaged in the first place and in need of replacement.. i was at the end of my rope and could not get that thing off... after labour and new oil cooler and installation 500... brutal but i'm glad to have it finished and sovled.. got a copy of ford motor compnay shop manuals for explorer/mountaineer 96-99 the other day so its a whole new ball park now..

brutal demoralizing experience tho man... worse job Ive done on my truck yet and was supposed to be textbook 15 min oil change.

It's good to know you got it off, and fixed though. I had checked the new price on the coolers a few years ago, and for $1100 I'd cherish any you can find. I don't know how much they cool the oil, I wish someone would figure that out.

Back