• Register Today It's free!

Synthetic oil filters

Roadking

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
Just a quick question. If your using Mobil 1 5-30 oil, do you have to run a Mobil synthetic filter also?

I went to buy some Mobil 1 and regular oil filter. The person at the parts desk said a regular oil filter will get plugged up after 2000-3000 miles and the oil will by pass the filter. He said the regular oil filters were designed for regular oil, and synthetic oil filters were made for synthetic oil?

What do you guys/gals think?

My personal opinion is he was trying to sell some $10 filters.

Bob B.

A regular filter will be fine if you plan to change the oil in 3000 miles. If you plan to go beyond 3000 miles either change the filter or use the Mobil 1 filter. The Mobil 1 filter is a great filter. It is designed with extended drain intervals in mind. It also filters better than Fram, Purolater, etc. That's why it costs more.

I was talking to a Ford mechanic this morning, here's what he thought about synthetic oil.
It's fine for fleet operations and companies that monitor the oil for engine wear.
The best thing is to buy a premium oil and filter and change it every 3000-5000 miles.
He has seen more damage done by someone thinking that they can drive with synthetic oil for 12000-15000 miles.
The advantages and price of synthetics are not worth the extra money for regular driving.

I guess everyone has an opinion.

If the synthetic oil gives you piece of mind and you can afford it, go for it.

Back