Door trim misalignment with the dash | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door trim misalignment with the dash

Hi Everyone,
Pete took the photos for me last week. Pete's are within spec, while not perfect the gaps between the doors and dash are even. JRMs are not & have uneven gaps. I had the weatherstrips replaced on the doors to fix the streaky window issue, you probably had the same if they look like the original post. Evidently its an enormous PITA to remove the panels as its a panel on a panel. All you need to do is either have your service manager take another look (which I did). A good perspective to show is the gap from outside of the vehicle looking in along the top edge of the panel where the window rolls down & the back edge of the door at the upper corner where the panel should hardly be on at all.

Or DIY it and post pics. If you've ever removed a door panel the issue is that its not hung properly on the top edge. It will probably require some fussing with to get it right. BE CAREFUL not to rip the wires out of your controls and you _may_ need to unscrew the pop up locks from the door as well as removes screws from around the outside and underneath the armrest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mike127 - Did you ever get this repaired? My MY12 Ex with less than 200 miles on the odo. has the same issue. The pass. side is misaligned. I'm not sure if I want the dealership touching bolts which were secured at the factory. Let me know how it turned out.

@Car54: yes that is exactly what is wrong with my car. Only my driver side lines up perfectly like it should but my passenger side is my problem. When the door is closed you can tell it is not properly aligned from the outside as well. Just look straight down at the door seam near the handle and mine has a gap.

http://flic.kr/p/avvvWf

http://flic.kr/p/avvvTh

*how do you paste pictures w/o being an "elite member?"

What is the 3rd button next to the Tailgate, and Tow button? mine only has those two..?

Went to another dealer at Ford customer services' recommendation. They looked at it and told me they'd have to do some investigation. After speaking with Ford they told me that this is "characteristic" of the model and as such they would not fix it. Service tech found the same problem on all their Explorers on the lot.

So ..... basically because most Explorers have misaligned dash panels, it's apparantely not a defect....... (I suppose they could make the same argument about MFT - it's characteristic of the model.)

That's pretty crappy IMHO, but I guess it is what it is.

Went to another dealer at Ford customer services' recommendation. They looked at it and told me they'd have to do some investigation. After speaking with Ford they told me that this is "characteristic" of the model and as such they would not fix it. Service tech found the same problem on all their Explorers on the lot.

So ..... basically because most Explorers have misaligned dash panels, it's apparantely not a defect....... (I suppose they could make the same argument about MFT - it's characteristic of the model.)

That's pretty crappy IMHO, but I guess it is what it is.
I guess Ford is saying that we should be happy we have vehicles that display so much 'character'.:rolleyes:

I looked at mine;s today and the drive side is ok the passenger side is off but when you look closer i noticed that it seams like the vent is not made correctly that is was is off or you can also say it's the part comming from the door is to narrow take your pick, but it's not the panel look closer to the pickture above !!!!

I'll refuse delivery if mine arrives like this and would hate to, as I don't wanna hurt the dealership (family run and I personally know the salesman and owner). Spending nearly 50k on a vehicle with misaligned door panels is totally unacceptable and I would complain to the BBB if they refuse to resolve it. I really appreciate all that Cory and the other Ford reps do on this forum and I'm sure on a personal level, they totally understand that this is b.s.

My passenger side was also considerably off like jrmexplorer. However I just recently had my front windows tinted in which they removed the door panels and they realigned it pretty accurately...almost perfect alignment. It'll do for me. So it goes to show it can be fixed.

My passenger side was also considerably off like jrmexplorer. However I just recently had my front windows tinted in which they removed the door panels and they realigned it pretty accurately...almost perfect alignment. It'll do for me. So it goes to show it can be fixed.

Wonder why they removed the door panels to tint the windows? I have had many cars front windows tinted with no removal of door panels.

Wonder why they removed the door panels to tint the windows? I have had many cars front windows tinted with no removal of door panels.

Not sure but they're a great company. They did an outstanding job when they tinted my 06 RL 5 years ago..and no problems since.

But I'm glad they did remove the explorer panels as they realigned it better than it originally was.

I registered just to complain about this. I'm so annoyed that I didn't spot it when I looked over the car. Who figures that a multibillion dollar car company cant align the panels properly? My left side is perfect, but my passenger side is a good half inch raised. Going to have the service manager take a look at it and see if anything can be done.

I love the explorer, but little things like this are the type of stuff that will have me going back to Japanese cars.

@Car54: yes that is exactly what is wrong with my car. Only my driver side lines up perfectly like it should but my passenger side is my problem. When the door is closed you can tell it is not properly aligned from the outside as well. Just look straight down at the door seam near the handle and mine has a gap.

http://flic.kr/p/avvvWf

http://flic.kr/p/avvvTh

*how do you paste pictures w/o being an "elite member?"

What is the 3rd button next to the Tailgate, and Tow button? mine only has those two..?

It seems that we brothers in arms about this problem. My passenger side is also 1/2 inch off. Is there anything that can be done about this?

I hadn't noticed the tailgate alignment issue yet but I do remember thinking that the gap between the tailgate and the car when closed was rather wide.

No one has had Ford fix this yet? I've got the same problem on the passenger side. I'll take a picture & send it to my salesman & then take the car over there next week.

Hi guys,

In case you missed my post, I’m available to help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

I got the "it is what it is" from my dealer.

I actually would rather it be a little unaligned than have someone go and pull all that apart. I don't hesitate to point it out to friends who ask me what do I think about my first Ford.

Yes, I don't want to create more rattles or something, mine is off a little, not much?

I have the same misalignment on my X as well. I just got my truck this Tuesday and was praying after i read this thread that I would be so lucky not to have it and I do. It is significant. I am going to go to dealer on Tuesday and will show it to them and this thread on all the people complaining about it. See what they say. I hope this is fixable.

Cory, have you brought this up to Ford and see what they say? my gap is the same as the pick on the first post of the thread.

i want to follow this thread,i am not sure it is worth complaining about especially if there is no fix
brianj

cory,

I sent you a PM with my info.

Thanks,

Mo

I have the same misalignment on my X as well. I just got my truck this Tuesday and was praying after i read this thread that I would be so lucky not to have it and I do. It is significant. I am going to go to dealer on Tuesday and will show it to them and this thread on all the people complaining about it. See what they say. I hope this is fixable.

Cory, have you brought this up to Ford and see what they say? my gap is the same as the pick on the first post of the thread.
Anyone else have a feeling that "it's a characteristic of the vehicle" excuse coming?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure there is a fix, moving the dash or door panels or both for it to match doesn't look possible? I could be wrong, I have a 2010 Edge and the door and dash don't align either but its not noticeable as it is not that far off, in fact I never noticed it till I read this thread so it can't be bad and I am very fussy.

Back