New addition to the family! '03 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New addition to the family! '03 Eddie Bauer

MSM0075

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 EB
Picked it up last week, 2003 Red Fire Metallic Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD. I think its fully loaded. It has everything I can think of except for Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), but I don't know if they were offered in '03..not quite sure..

It has 68k Miles on it. Overall good shape but not as good as our '02 Mountaineer V8 AWD with 58k on it. For one the shocks are bad and the right front has leaked its fluid. Also dosn't seem to shift or run quiiiite as smooth as the Mountaineer, but I am very sensitive about stuff, I'm sure its ok. Nothing seems to have been replaced suspension/drivetrain wise. Driveshaft appears to have never been removed. thats a good sign for an AWD. Possiblly Indicates no transfercase issues, like what we went though with our Mountaineer all due to mismatched tires from the previous owner. All tires apear to have been replaced at the same time, dating 2007 with the original style BFG Rugged Trail's with PLENTY of meat left, Almost look new! Although one tire has a slightly different tred but I do know there was a revision on these tires. Perhaps around the same time as these tires were replaced...?? Spare tire is original and never has been mounted/used.

Whats cool is this truck also has the same style wheel as the other four as a spare just like our Mountaineer...was this an AWD thing or something? Every other explorer I see has a the plain black steel wheel...

There are very slight differences I'm noticing between the two trucks. for one. When I lock the doors using the remote my parking lights/tail lights flash ALONG with the fogs', Our Mountaineer does not flash the fogs. Both headlight dials are set on the Auto setting with the knob pulled out for Fog Lights. Maybe it is a setting or something? Havn't looked in the manuals yet.

Also the heated seats - In the '03 When I turn the heated seats on they stay on untill I turn the key off. When I get back into the truck without turning them off manually they will automatically come back on. On our '02 Mountaineer the heated seats time-out after few minutes or so. Is this normal?

Now I know the two trucks have different radios. The Mountaineer has the single disc with cassette combo and the explorer has the 6 disc in dash changer with the rear bass speaker. The explorer's radio just dosn't seem as powerful as the moutaineers, I can crank the mountaineer radio up pretty high before the distortion sensor(don't know the name)or whatever even kicks on, on the explorer i can bearly get the volume up half way before it starts muffiling itself for the distortion. I have the bass/treb set exactly the same on both radios..

Thanks guys!
-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#### the tire pressure system. its a pain in the ass.

I agree- TPMS is a pain in the azz.

Sounds like you found a nice truck- the stereos are different, if you have no sub in the Ex, it is going to kick in earlier and it will sound more muffled...

Post some pics!

not a 100% but on all of the '03 that i've seen, seem to come with the spare Alum rim, no side badges however. In '04 with AWD it was a black steel rim, but with Side badges.

heated seats - earlier 3rd gens, or sometime in '03 they dropped the heated seat module which probably had a timer, to just a simple switch. With the switch when you turned it on, it would stay on till you turned it off.

as for the speakers, i started with the base radio and was able to add aftermarket speakers no problem. They where cheap to begin with, they might be shot. Also i don't think the base radio was tuned like the audiophile was. With the audiophile they customized the speaker balance to compensated for inadequate cheap speakers.

I agree- TPMS is a pain in the azz.

Sounds like you found a nice truck- the stereos are different, if you have no sub in the Ex, it is going to kick in earlier and it will sound more muffled...

Post some pics!

The explorer has the Audiophile 6disc with the rear bass speaker.

congrats!! i hope you are as happa as i am with mine. i just picked up a 02 ex 4.6 4wd limited. it has 3rd row seating and everything my wife wanted and everything i needed (v8 4x4 clean) the ex has 85k one owner servece records and the cleanest interior possible. the lady had the leather conditioned every 2 months and only put people in the back when family came to town which was apparantly never. i only paid 6000 for it. i felt bad cause i kinda stole it. my wife loves it though, and i still got to keep my 91 eb

congrats!! i hope you are as happa as i am with mine. i just picked up a 02 ex 4.6 4wd limited. it has 3rd row seating and everything my wife wanted and everything i needed (v8 4x4 clean) the ex has 85k one owner servece records and the cleanest interior possible. the lady had the leather conditioned every 2 months and only put people in the back when family came to town which was apparantly never. i only paid 6000 for it. i felt bad cause i kinda stole it. my wife loves it though, and i still got to keep my 91 eb

Stole it?

At that price I'm surprised you didn't bash her in the head and move into her house as well :D

Whoops...did I say that?:rolleyes:

i hope that your not implying that i paid too much, out here in az that is a steal. she wanted 8k but i told her that it needed rear struts, plugs, remote, and the cd changer was broken, which i didnt care too much cause 2 days later i installed a kenwood double din and headrest monitors and all new speakers. i love being in the aoutmotive business i get free and cheap stuff all the time.

No no...that's a great deal. Prices are the main reason why NY sucks. I bought my 04' 2 years ago with 67K on her for $12,000

Back