Speed and MPG?

bphelan04

Reaction score
City, State
Tha Chi
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Mounty AWD Cologne V6
Hello all:
I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer with the flexfuel V6. Can someone please tell me what the MPG "sweet spot" is ie at what highway speed would I achieve the best MPG?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A little more about my car before I get these tips. I run Mobil 1 full synth in the girl, changed every 3k miles. I have a K&N air filter. I changed my rear transaxle grease with the Ford synthetic. I've SeaFoamed through the intake a few times. I keep my tires inflated to the manufacturers recomendations on the driver's door. I try not to do 'jack rabbit' starts. I try and drive 65 on the e-way. I've been averaging 16mpg. That sucks!

Sounds like you're doing everything right. That is just the average fuel economy of these cars. Everybody expects to be getting great gas mileage since they drive lightly and aren't heavy footed and do everything right. These engines aren't made for fuel economy. So no matter what you do you may see a .5mpg increase, which in my opinion, isn't worth wasting money trying to change things or add wonder juices to increase it.
But again, sounds like you drive fine, sorry to see you're not getting better gas mileage.
BTW: I average 15.6 city and about 19-20 HWY.

Sounds accurate to me.When gas was sub $1.50 in 02 no one complained:usa:.

With my all stock 03 (with exception of plugs, wires, and maintenance stuff) I see about 14 or so in town. When I have done longer highway trips I usually do about 75 or so (sometimes more if the wife and kid are *****y lol) and see around 20-21 on highway.

Back