• Register Today It's free!

Hi lift jack question

Gse Brent

Reaction score
City, State
Small Wonder
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Thinking about getting one of those Hi lift brand jacks but will they work on our trucks with all that plastic cladding in the way. I know John Rock had one but he also had rock sliders and fabbed up front bumper. Any other recommendations for an off road jack.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With out somewhere safe to use it, it really is useless.

Big bottle jacks & a pc of 2"X12"x12" lumber work great. Just place them under the rear axle, or under the control arm hooks or the cross member. :)

Useless without sliders.

no neccesarily! i own a hi lift jack and im still just in the planning phases of getting sliders on my trac and my hi lift has gotten me out of a few jams already. if you dont have some sweet bumpers or sliders yet, you can go on ebay and get a "hi-lift jack mate". its a little strap that hooks onto the jack and on the other end has two hooks that hook onto your wheel. not nearly as versatile as having sliders but it works, believe me. already got me out of a few jams. and if youre really desperate, you can use your hi lift on your hitch. not recomemended but that has also worked for me. the lift mate costs about 30 bucks online, i would leave a link, but im on my phone. if you want to check one out just go to ebay and search for hi lift jack mate.

yea i've seen the hi lift jack mate, that doesn't put any pressure on bending any wheel component does it? I need some metal and get rid of this plastic. Does anyone make sliders for the sport trac specifically?

With out somewhere safe to use it, it really is useless.

Big bottle jacks & a pc of 2"X12"x12" lumber work great. Just place them under the rear axle, or under the control arm hooks or the cross member. :)

This^^

I carried a Hilift for years offroading and only used it one time. And that's with me having front, rear and side body armor.

I used my stock bottle jack many times offroad (and on). I just carried a chunk of wood to compensate for the amount of lift my tires gave over stock.

Matt, check out Chad's slider build.

I'll probably be building a set for mine soon. I don't really like the stock step bars and they've been sitting in the barn since I bought the truck. I need something so my wife can get into the truck; she complained when I had 32s, lol. I'll probably weld to the frame but haven't tossed the idea of bolt on sliders. I've been looking forward to using the new tube bender. I don't have a time frame because school starts next week so I may have the stock step bars on for a short time.

i also carry various pieces of wood when i go on trips and they come in handy. the lift mate isnt the greatest way in the world to lift a corner of your truck up but it works. as for sliders, im doing some research right now on using a set of sliders that are made for 4 door tacomas and getting them to fit on my 03 sport trac. right now the length is right, i just need to make sure that the dropout brackets will weld onto the frame of my trac cleanly. the set i found was from trail-gear.com if anyone wants to look into them. once i get it all measured out, its all about saving a few bucks which is always the heardest part!

get a tow hitch and one of them smittybilt d ring receivers and boom high lift jack ready. its also a good jacking point if you have to say... rock your truck to the side because you thought a certain line up the mountain looked to easy for you to need to hop out and check.

Back