• Register Today It's free!

all terain tiret question

layz

Reaction score
City, State
hurst texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 explorer
I am wanting to put a allterain tire on my 05 explorer. It is a v6 but want to keep the stock size rubber on it. What is a good allterain tire to put on. I dont do much offroading just like the look of the allterain tire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure of the size on your 05, but for my 01 sport, I quite like the look of my BFGoodrich A/Ts. (31"x10.5"x15). They are roughly the same size that my old tires were when I got my X. I'd recommend them

stock size is 235 70 16

if you do mostly highway driving, a good AT is the pirelli scorpion. duratracs are also considered AT's but they are more aggresive than your normal AT. in my opinion, they are the best treads on the market hands down.

Well, we do 90% highway driving and 10% off road driving. So I was after an A/T that is quiet and good for at least 30k mls.

Have the Cooper Discoverer ATR on both Explorers in 235/70-16 and 245/65-17.

Had the Cooper Discoverer on several Explorers and F150s and it is my preferred replacement tire. Plus you get the ex works OWL look.

It probably sounds strange that an Explorer driver would back a Firestone product but I put Firestone Destination AT's on my 02' and love them. They have great wet/dry traction and in the snow and ice here in Iowa they've been unstoppable. There is very little tire noise on the highway and wear has been even and minimal. Good tire, great price. I've lost a couple mpg but I went up in tire size.

I just put Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my 2004. I am mostly a highway driver but I also pull a boat and sometimes drive on gravel roads or wet grass/muddy areas as well and I also live in a climate with some snow (although not this year yet). They have been great so far and are pretty quiet at highway speeds. Best part is that they are a little cheaper than most of the popular tires. I was a BFG Rugged T/A guy every time before, but these seem to handle better and rate as a better tire for treadwear, rolling resistance, and noise.

Only downside is that the OWL is a bit less attractive than the Goodyear, Firestone, or BFG styles so I had them flipped and went with the blackletter side.

Hmmm I'm getting ideas for my next set of tires since BFGs are a bit on the pricy side with my salary in mind

I have an '02 XLT and about 2 years ago i put on a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM's, and absolutely LOVE them! Their road manors are fantastic, way better than even my old BFG Rugged Trails which are OEM. Great wear life, i've got about 20,000 miles on them and they still look brand new. Super quiet, great traction offroad and in the snow etc, and also handle heavy rain really well (wet season in south florida). Not to mention they look great on the truck w/ the white lettering. So one highly recommended vote for the Hankooks here!

I'm a huge General Grabber AT2 fan. Almost the same as BFG all terrain but can be found for half the price. They have great traction on everything off highway. They are very aggressive though, so if you don't go off road they may be overkill.

Back