HELP!!! Pulled the trany pan and found this | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! Pulled the trany pan and found this

Stefanlg55

Reaction score
City, State
Middleborough, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Police Pack
I was in the process of replacing the trany filter when i saw this spring that looks like it was caught up on a gear of some sort. One end looks to be caught up or maby connected to the gear but the other end it not connected to anything up laying up again the transmission wall.

img2012030100183.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my reading, if i am correct, that is the piece that engages when you put it in park..

Ok but now should that pring have one side disconnected or so it be connected to somthing. - just don't know if it is something that should be connected

999-3 looks like it could be the spring but I'm not sure. Sorry I'm doing this all off my phone. But if the spring should be located there where or even should the other end connect too?

broken spring?

As previously posted, that possibly may be a parking pawl return spring in a 5R55E. If so, the other end appears to be broken off. However, if it is the parking pawl return spring the coils encircle the parking pawl shaft. For the spring to be loose the shaft must have been out of position. Unfortunately, I think the extension housing must be removed in order to replace the spring. If your parking pawl still engages (holds the vehicle in position on a hill with the parking brake released) then I would look for another explanation for the spring. I haven't found any other spring in my ATSG 5R55E manual that looks similar.

Back