• Register Today It's free!

tires

ICUFFEM

Reaction score
City, State
Crest Hill, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT 4.0
got a 2004 EX. Eddie Bauer with factory 17 inch rims. Whats the largest tire I can fit without having issues? 265/70/17, 255/70/17? Need new ones soon bald ones don't do well in the mud and trails lol

well you answered a couple of the questions: "mud/trails" says alot.

how are you going to use the SUV? Most of the time how are you ok with tire noise? What about the significant other? TRUST ME you want to factor in your cohort, because if he or she ain't happy, you'll pay big time!.. I had that with my 2001 Monty, I did a tire and exhaust upgrade and my wife *****ed until the day my boss bought the truck from me.

Nitto and BFG pretty much own the street/moderate trail category. I am a big fan of the Toyo Open Country line of tires. I have been in the wheel/tire industry for 20+ years on & off. The Toyo makes a great compromise in street noise/stability and then off road ability.

as for size, well hard to say. You will have to have a programer for anything more than 1 size larger than stock. The computer and ABS will freak out without a programmer.

245/65/17 is the stock size. If you want more "meat" in the tire than you will need a programmer/tuner unit. On our Monty I have run a 255/60 and 275/60 without rubbing issues.

Rob

You can run 265/70-17...i have and love my Treadwright guard dogs(mt/at hybrid)..wife LOVES the tire noise lol. Www.Treadwright.com
May i suggest poking in the modified section vs stock

Back