can it work in mine? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can it work in mine?

i had the battery disconected for almost 2 weeks i think if it was gonna reset it would have done it then, where is the shift encoder motor located? i am farely dnew to this particular vehicle but im no dummy to cars it will shift thru the gears just fine til it gets to o/d but it wont go into o/d at 25 anyhow. this thing has gotten me so frustrated now ive spent almost what it would have cost me to have it rebuilt. lol. i only paid 1100 for the car and ive spent more than that just trying to get it to move

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the battery disconnected for almost 2 weeks that should have reset everything that was gonna get reset and it didn't change anything. and where is the shift encoder located?

Shift encoder is on the rear of the transfer case. You may have to look behind the counterweight, if applicable.

ok pop i looked at the thread u posted that is awesome i wish i had seen that b4 i went and got another tranny and all but im gonna try this and see if it works

on my 97 (which has the same trans as your 98) it will go into overdrive in 4-low, but if the shift encoder thinks it is in high range there may be something in the pcm keeping it from shifting into overdrive at such a low speed, regardless of the engine rpm's

im gonna try tapping on the shift control 2morow and see if that does anything, if not then i will remove it and see about rebuilding it i am pretty mechanically inclined, so it shouldn't be a problem for me. i can fallow instructions pretty good too. so i hope this fixes the problem that i am having with shifting and i hope the tranny i replaced my old one with holds up for me. b4 i put the replacement in i did think to replace the filter and gasket, and while i had my exhaust down i replaced both of my output O2S sensors and i replaced the exhaust gaskets, had a mech friend check out my catalytic converters while i had them down. i replaced the front oil seal on the tranny so i wouldn't have any problems with the torque converter it seems to be shifting thru the gears fine but 2nd-3rd gear is that band that i read about in another post. i wasn't gonna get into a total rebuild on the tranny right now but i'm sure i will have to do it sooner or later the explorer they took it out of had 145k on the odometer. so i know i should have done it while it was out but i needed a running vehicle to go to work, i have been barrowingmy parents car and i hate it. lol .but thank you everyone for all the helpful info to get me started on the right path. i really do like my explorer i have to replace the front drive shaft because the cv boot on it is cracked and everyone i called said its a 1pc unit and i cant rebuild it. i plan on leaving it out for the time being until i can afford to replace it. once i get this thing out of 4low i plan on taping my switch in auto until i replace the driveshaft . just a precaution to keep me from trying to put it in low gear i don't want to burn up my tranny and i dont think leaving it out will hurt anything really. other than that its a great car its in nice shape inside and out. the whole front suspension has been completely replaced recently. i noticed it when i got under it and it was very clean and the lower Aframe was brand new looking. new cv joints and boots, new control arm bushings and new rotors and pads. fairly new tires and brand new spare. when i bought it i thought to myself,"man i like this one!" i wanted something different than what i had lol , that was a piece of work, im gonna run it over the scales and get what i can for it its destoyed@!!!! 1995 pontiac grand am it lasted me 5 yrs tho and i didn't think it would last me 1 yr , so i guess i got my moneys worth out of it. i hope i don't have much more trouble with my new toy but im sure im not done with it yet. i cant wait to have some fun with it!!!!!;)
i will post some pics of my new ride as soon as i can so yall can see how puuuuurrrrrrrttttyyyyyyy she is...

again thank you everyone you all gave me very helpful info and i plan to put it to good use.:exp:

You cant leave it out, it will destroy the wheel bearing and differential. There is a universal 2-peice boot that you can use, and the CV joint will come apart, but i dont know exactly how. come to think of it the inner joint you can just pull apart, being careful to not lose the spring. usually it is the outer boot that tears though. For now if tapping the shift motor doesnt work you can remove the motor and manually shift into 2wd while you are working on the shift motor or trying to get a replacemnt.

Yes, do not drive with a front axle removed.

well i guess ill have to put it back in until i can afford to fix it i plan on taking the motor off today with alil help from my mom we r gonna take it apart and rebuild it. i hope this fixes the problem. what if i take the motor off and find that it is in 2H then what do i check next to get it to go over 25?

the OP was referring to an axle shaft, not the drive shaft

"i really do like my explorer i have to replace the front drive shaft because the cv boot on it is cracked and everyone i called said its a 1pc unit and i cant rebuild it. i plan on leaving it out for the time being until i can afford to replace it."

???

BK

well i got her fixed finally, shes runnin great now, she is shifting thru all the gears and will go over 25 lol. once i sgot the new shift motor on i had to reset the cars ecm so that it could read the position the shift motor was in but once i did that she pulled right out of 4low and into 2 hi and i took her out on the highway just to make sure the tranny was shifting right, and shes great!!!!!!!!!!:exp:

Glad to hear you got it fixed. By posting back that the problem is fixed you may help others that search with a similar problem.

Back