• Register Today It's free!

94 steering gearbox slop

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
94 x with a bit of steering slop (just hit 280xxx miles tonight). it has all new front end steering/suspension part(within 4000 miles) except steering gear box and pitman arm.i already know my best bet would be to just replace it but ive heard you can tighten up older ford steering boxes...is this true?

any help or know how would be greatly appreciated...kinda on a tight budget at the moment and cant afford a new one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do a youtube search,, adjusting gearbox slop, or adjusting gear box,, theres several but the slop one is good,, just dont adjust to tight and make sure u have full lock to lock movement wen your finished, good luck buck

Hey thanks man...really appreciate the help!

very simple. Hold Allen key on top of steering box, loosen Jam Nut, tighten allen key a bit, retighten Jam nut

if u tighten the allen scfrew till u can feel it titie,, its too tite and will lock or jam your steering, just finger tite till u feel it touch then back off just a lil bit,, then turn your steering wheel lock to lock feeling very carefully fior tite spots, if u cannot get the slack out without having tite spots thens its bite the bullet time and head for the junkyard and another box,, also turn your wheel,, have someone else do that and watch the pitman shaft, it should stay straight and centered in the steering box housing,, if it wobbles during steering,, time for another box

well ive been busy the past few days but finaly got around to tackeling this task. i ended up only having to tighten it about 5/8ths of a turn. this was after four times of tightening then driving it to check everything. (didnt want to overtighten and possibly blow it apart) however im pretty sure i can prolly tighten it up a little bit more. its a comforting feeling that im now able to drive straight down the road with mqybe a 1/2 in of steering wheel slop compared to the 3 1/2 plus inchs of slop each way from center to actualy turning the wheels. thanks again for the insight and knowledge guys.

it wudn blow,, steering wheel wud just freeze with your grill pointed at the ditch or the hood ornament on an opposing mack,, butt pucker time,, if u have 1/2 inch steering wheel, dont try for tighter, thats good, ive driven many in my youth that was an automatic governor,, trying to keep some old beater pickup tween the ditches by flipping wheel back an forth doesnt leave much time or nerve for goin fast,, put your truck on jacks and turn it from lock to lock feeling for stuck spots,, ir its smooth, then your good to go,, good lucjk,, buck

I like to use an old magazine under each front wheel. It gives the slip needed, but keeps your wheels on the ground.

I never tried magazines for that. I use a couple pieces of sheet metal with bearing grease between them when I need to meep the front unloaded.

~Mark

boy,, aint used that magazine trick in ages,it sure does work,, good too, forgot all about that,, your wifes home an garden is especially good for thatl , all them slick pages, if u get caught, expect to spend some time rollin wrinkles outa yer sons cub scout tent,, tears the staples out an wrinkles pages,, throwem in the bottom of yer garage bucket an throw something ugly like a booger towel or somethin on top so she wont be tempted if she sees a suspicious corner,

Back