A/C in and out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A/C in and out

Torqueranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer 5.0l
I have a 99 explorer 5.0l ..... The problems is the when I have the a/c on and I am at idle everything works fine but when I step on the gas to go somewhere the a/c stops blowing but the fan motor is still going ... After a little bit I start getting cold air again and I thinks it's the blender door or something but wasn't sure so I figured i would post up to see if anyone know how to fix it....

Thanks
JAy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the blend door has problem, you won't get cold air consistently at idling.

I would suggest that you get a helper to pedal the gas while you open the hood to check the compressor to see if it is engaged or not. Also check the accumulator to see whether it is getting cold.

Further check the pressure at both low and high service port.

If your A/C is automatic, there is procedure for the self test and you can pul the code out from the display.

What exactly do you mean by "Stops Blowing"?
Does the air stop blowing cold or does the air itself stop blowing out the vents?
Does the air blow out the defroster vents when this happens and if so is it still cold?

If the blend door has problem, you won't get cold air consistently at idling.

I would suggest that you get a helper to pedal the gas while you open the hood to check the compressor to see if it is engaged or not. Also check the accumulator to see whether it is getting cold.

Further check the pressure at both low and high service port.

If your A/C is automatic, there is procedure for the self test and you can pul the code out from the display.

I don't think I explain the problem very well..Well here it is....

At idle
Everything works fine

But under power
a/c is still working fine and the blower is still running but it's like someone turned off the blower but I can still hear it running but then it comes back on again in a little bit..

+2 vac leak. been there, done that. and you'd been surprised how small a leak can cause this to happen.

I had no A/C for almost a year. I assumed it was the blend door because all I got was hot air. It wasn't. It was a bad DPFE sensor. The bad sensor was telling the computer that I was running at wide open throttle, therefore shutting off the A/C. Replaced the sensor, and all of a sudden the A/C worked as it should.

I have a 2001 Mountaineer with an AC blower issue as well. I can turn it on AC or defrost and it will work on the designated selection for four or five minutes and then just blow out of all outlets-vents, floor, defrost. The local garage checked the blend door and it is working fine. Would this be a vacuum leak, where? It's got me and the mechanics all baffled. As they were sure it was the blend door cracked or needing replaced.

Back