• Register Today It's free!

A/C Problem... I think?

Twentybinders

Reaction score
City, State
Miramar, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V8
I have a 95 Limited Explorer and I'll try to make as much sense as possible here.

Just as I was coming home today the A/C stopped blowing and it felt like the heat or vents were started blowing, but not coming through (as if something was blocking it).

It's a weird thing... when on Max A/C or fan I can feel the coldness of the air, but it isn't blowing through. It smells like the heat is on when I turn on the a/c.

It was on max a/c (it's hot here in South Florida!) if that matters. I checked the fluids and they looked okay, I didn't notice any hoses busted or loose.

ANY input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turned the air on today and it's only exiting through the defrosters on an option (floor, vent, a/c, etc.).

Sounds like a door vent is broken. You might want to take a peak inside there. Was there any hissing noise like a hose blew on the A/C? I would check the integrity of the a/c system and do some pressure tests.

The air flow direction door, or the actuator has gone bad. The actuator is a vacuum type, check to make sure you didn't lose vacuum to the system.

Thanks for the replies.

No, there is/was no hissing noise when this happened, just heard a click like a setting was changed and it started blowing from the defrosters. My dad said he had this problem once before, mentioning it could be the door vent again.

Back