code P0443 and its significance | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

code P0443 and its significance

I did not change the canister purge... just the vaopr management valve. The vapor management valve is under the battary tray, and i think one of the links above had a good demo on how to swap that out. Im not sure where the canister thing is... I think i read somewhere above or around the gas tank or fuel pump area? Check those links above... there was some good stuff in there. Good luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are 2 vapor canisters.. they are 100 a piece. i didnt know there were 2, so i only bought one. will order the other tomorrow. but i still have the code, and i will also order the valve. this **** is pissin me off

oh and the canisters are UNDER the spare tire, above the rear axle. you will need to drop the tire to see them. i also have another code. will post them tomorrow. i had 3, but one was from a mis fire in cylinder 4.

Check your gas cap seal as well. I had the same code on my 97 Expedition once, went to the free auto zone scan and the first ever auto zone guy with a brain told me to check my gas cap. I though he was full of crap, but sure enough, it was cross threaded and not sealed. I correctly put the gas cap on, cleared the codes, and no more problems. Apparently, with out having the proper seal on the tank, the system can't purge and it just escapes out the filler neck.

I replaced my valve under the battery and my check engine light went.out but did nothing to fix the issue. It was 38$ at my Ford dealer. It's a fuel vapor management valve when you order it. If you ask for a purge valve you will end up with the one under gas tank.

Check your gas cap. Some of them, like the one on my X, have a spring loaded valve that needs to be pushed in all the way (it may click when seated). If it's not, you can get the EVAP code.

Back