• Register Today It's free!

New U-Joints for 97 5.0

5.0L V8

Reaction score
City, State
Paradise,Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Well i'm getting a little vibration under the floorboard, thinking it's gonna be a U-joint on the front DS. They havn't been touched in close to 10 years. So i'm gonna go ahead and replace all the u-joints on both driveshafts. I was looking at the duralast golds from autozone. This thing rarely see's offroad and when it does, it is very moderate. Any bad reviews on these?

Without having me go out tonight with a flashlight and look underneath, how many u joints are there all together on both driveshafts? Front/Rear?

Thanks alot guys!
-Evan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are your wheel bearings? I have a bad wheel bearing right now and it is causing a vibration on the floor by the pedals.

How are your wheel bearings? I have a bad wheel bearing right now and it is causing a vibration on the floor by the pedals.

Ya know, that had previously crossed my mind. This past year or so it has seemed to have not been "freewheeling" as easily as it used to when just coasting down my lane (nearly flat). I'm not getting any weird noises, but as for vibration, thats exactly where mine feels like. Right under the driver side floorboard (Which led me to believe maybe U-Joints). If i'm riding passenger and put my left elbow up on the center console, I can even feel a slight vibration. But just sitting anywhere else in the car BUT driver, you can't even tell.

Thanks for the input man, didn't really considerate it seriously until I thought about the coasting problem as well. If I remember correctly I saw a write-up on the the hub bearing replacement. Anyone got a link for it?

Thanks,
-Evan

Thanks alot man, which hub bearing assembly did you end up going with?

Timken. Found them slightly used in the classifieds from another member on here.

Before just tossing parts on, it might be a good idea to pull the front drive shaft and take it for a short ride and see if the vibration is gone.

Before just tossing parts on, it might be a good idea to pull the front drive shaft and take it for a short ride and see if the vibration is gone.

For sure man, I was gonna do some diagnosing tomorrow on my day off. Really hoping its U-Joints, but bad hub bearings would explain that sluggish coasting nowadays.

Back