torque converter problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

torque converter problem

roy13

Reaction score
i have a 02 4.6 explorer 160k miles one owner..i have the sound of a bad torque converter on a cold start its quite either after about 60-90 seconds you can start to hear it or after u engage it in gear. trans seems to shift fine is there a write up on diy change torque converter? it dont look to awful bad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its pretty bad... you need to drop the transmission.. Its a two day job for a couple of guys who know their stuff and are decently tooled.

its pretty bad... you need to drop the transmission.. Its a two day job for a couple of guys who know their stuff and are decently tooled.

Oh nice I have to do this too. 2002 with a 4.6 110k. I think my flywheel is lose to and I have a drip of ATF coming out of the bell some where.

With the right tools you can do it in a day. You may want to try adding some Lucas Additive into a warm transmission to see if that helps quiet it down for you. Not the best fix, but could buy you some time.

is there a write up on this.. how can i check the trans. fluid?.. i bought this thing needing a timing kit got the motor runing great now it has that t.q noise maybe just low on fluid i seen were u have to take a bath in trans fluid an lose it all to check it ,is that true?

If the noise disappears when overdrive engages then it is probably something that doesn't need to be fixed. I have a rattling convertor and it drives fine. The noise is annoying though. This is more prevalent on the '02 Explorers.

the noise dissapears when given just a lil throttle like after 1500-2000 rpms it goes away ,an cant hear it going down the road but im in the buy an sell trade buisness an i cant an dont wanna sell it making this noise

Back