• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster Question?

KMac

Reaction score
City, State
HuntsVegas, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4x4
I'm looking at getting the Flowmaster 50-SUV muffler for my Ex. It's the Dual in (2 1/4") Single out (3"). I've read a lot fo the exhaust posts in here and everyone seems to recommend NOT going over 2 1/2" for the pipe or you don't have enough back-pressure. I'm looking at getting a local shop to install it and custom-bend the pipes.

Do I get them to reduce from 3" to 2 1/2"?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't your gonna get a lot of backfiring and you'll burn gas a bit quicker than us explorer drivers already do. I'd say do it.

When I had mine done, they had to do exactly what you're talking about. It has worked fine for me. As I'm sure you're aware, down low, our SOHCs aren't exactly stump-pulling torque-monsters. Going above 2.5 inches for the tailpipe will only kill low end torque, and the miniscule amount of high-end horsepower you may or may not gain from it doesn't make it worthwhile.

you will loose major low end torque if you go above 2 1/2''. In my opinoin u should just go with the 50 series delta flow with 2 1/2'' pipe. That way they only have to build a Y connector. Anyway, the only sound difference between the SUV and the delta flow is that the SUV is louder on the inside. If ya like more interior resonance then go with the SUV. Otherwise i would say go with the delta flow. Its youre choice. I think you will be happy either way. But i would say stick to 2 1/2 for sure. Good luck!

Ive got 50 delta w/2.5 tailpipe, exits just to right of hitch under bumper. Looks and sounds wicked!

mine exits in the same place as black crowe... also with 2.5" i have a 40 non delta though... my exhuast puts v8 trucks to shame.... hope you never need to drive with the rear hatch or window open though... i had to cuz i went mudding and couldnt see out the window so i opened it.. imy stereo couldnt go loud enough to drown out the exhuast :)

Back