New Navigation Card? (A4) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Navigation Card? (A4)

Originally (2.7-2.11) reboot at least once every two days, sometimes multiple times in a day. I also had issues w/ GPS not being accurate or no satellites found, etc. Voice commands would stop working every few days, maps were slow and street names would appear after you already passed the street.

3.0.2 made things worse. The unit would reboot multiple times per day, after rebooting twice while a service advisor was standing there watching, they replaced the APIM.

After the APIM replacement the system got slightly more stable.. it would then slow down over the course of a few days to a week before rebooting eventually. There are just obvious problems with the software implementation and the bugginess of Flash in general.

My Sport (on 3.2.2) works just like the 2011 XLT worked after the APIM was replaced. So far on 3.5.1 I don't notice any slowing, but like I said, I haven't added back navigation yet. I'm picking up a card Friday.

Maybe is it flash. But if you're looking for a working nav, I found this on youtube - it doesn't look likg its built off flash, but the microsoft O/S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLGNvThk1Gk

Might void mft warranty, but........

It's on the IVT MFT front page for this forum, too.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373840

Kinda cool and looks like it works really well, but that's just how I see it. Might be different for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats very interesting because I thought the MFT system is locked up and will only permit Ford Authorized software to load?

I wonder though.........is that XLT Explorer one with previous active Navigation so it has an OEM GPS module?.......is this video showing aftermarket GPS/Nav software that also includes an add on GPS module? So those who didnt get nav now have an option?

I sure like how quick the response time was between screens.

Leave it to Apple to implement a custom version of an existing protocol. I love my iPhone, but that's more than annoying. I haven't reviewed any information in regards to bluetooth since none of my development pertains to it, but I might have to go back and examine the documentation now.

This is a Ford issue. Text messages work great with iOS6 on Ford vehicles that only have Sync. Ford needs to update their MFT software. Apple isn't to blame here for this.

EDIT: I'm in the same boat as you. MFT continues to reboot itself for me as well. Sometimes 3 plus times daily. I've given up taking it to the dealership. The only fix is new software unfortunately.

Thats very interesting because I thought the MFT system is locked up and will only permit Ford Authorized software to load?

I wonder though.........is that XLT Explorer one with previous active Navigation so it has an OEM GPS module?.......is this video showing aftermarket GPS/Nav software that also includes an add on GPS module? So those who didnt get nav now have an option?

I sure like how quick the response time was between screens.

I think I have seen a system like this somewhere else online. That system connected somewhere in the cabling and by holding down the phone/speech buttons for a few seconds would activate the system and it would take over. Press the buttons again and it would go back to normal mode. It also let you turn on the rear-view camera whenever you wanted.

Also, to make Sync turn-by-turn work, a GPS module is present. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all Explorers have Sync turn-by-turn available, or is that only on MFT models?

I think I have seen a system like this somewhere else online. That system connected somewhere in the cabling and by holding down the phone/speech buttons for a few seconds would activate the system and it would take over. Press the buttons again and it would go back to normal mode. It also let you turn on the rear-view camera whenever you wanted.

This is interesting... it seems to be a more advanced hack of the CANBUS than the LockPick is. Not only are they bypassing the video for an auxiliary source, but they are processing the touch too. I wonder what the cost of this is/will be. They seem to be legit.

http://www.mocar.us

This is a Ford issue. Text messages work great with iOS6 on Ford vehicles that only have Sync. Ford needs to update their MFT software. Apple isn't to blame here for this.

Since you said this, I went out and tested, on 3.5.1 text messaging and alerts are working now .. Lol.. You have to go into Bluetooth settings on the iPhone for the sync device and enable notifications, and the disconnect and reconnect the phone to MFT

This is awesome!

since you said this, i went out and tested, on 3.5.1 text messaging and alerts are working now .. Lol.. You have to go into bluetooth settings on the iphone for the sync device and enable notifications, and them disconnect and reconnect the phone to mft

this is awesome!

yahoo!

This is interesting... it seems to be a more advanced hack of the CANBUS than the LockPick is. Not only are they bypassing the video for an auxiliary source, but they are processing the touch too. I wonder what the cost of this is/will be. They seem to be legit.

http://www.mocar.us

I would love to see how they go about doing this - like watch them tear everything open and see what and how they have to connect everything. THEN, I'll be wonder how Ford will answer this AM nav install - Will they change their system? If so, how quickly?

I'm now wondering the same as sgt. Does this Ex have a ford pre-installed navi (antenna, nav box underneath, etc) or is the AM navi a completely new install on everything.

Since you said this, I went out and tested, on 3.5.1 text messaging and alerts are working now .. Lol.. You have to go into Bluetooth settings on the iPhone for the sync device and enable notifications, and them disconnect and reconnect the phone to MFT

This is awesome!

I have an iPhone 5 with ios 6.0.1 and I can not find any Bluetooth settings to enable notifications or texting for sync device. Where are they?

I believe he is referring to settings in the MFT phone config settings not on the iPhone BT settings because your right there are none.

I thought so also, but when you select messaging it just tells you the currently connected phone doesn't support Bluetooth text messaging. I just did the update and I really can't tell anything that's different.

I have an iPhone 5 with ios 6.0.1 and I can not find any Bluetooth settings to enable notifications or texting for sync device. Where are they?

On your iPhone, go to the list of bluetooth devices. Hit the little blue arrow next to SYNC. You should see an option to allow notifications there. This will only be there if you're MFT system has been updated to 3.5.1 and you've re-paired your phone.

Thank you, that makes more sense now. Im waiting for the A4 card first so I wont see that settings change yet.

I'm now wondering the same as sgt. Does this Ex have a ford pre-installed navi (antenna, nav box underneath, etc) or is the AM navi a completely new install on everything.

Whether you order MFT w/ Navi or w/out you have the exact same hardware. This was confirmed multiple times by Rebecca. At the factory the navigation is enabled or disabled based on options selected. Due to licensing issues you are not able to enable the navigation after it leaves the factory (as of yet).

If this is is real it is a module that is being installed inline w/ the CANBUS (like the Ford Lockpick from CoastalETech). It's reading the CAN messages, and possibly even using the stock GPS antenna (though I can't confirm that obviously).

This wouldn't modify MFT in any way (other than altering the messages it receives from the CAN and using an auxillary video input, which you can also do with the Lockpick)

Dealer called, "A4" card is in. Will be going in tomorrow.....again

I dropped my Explorer at the dealership today to have the cooling fan recall taken care of. Also to have the Sync update done, as I am still on 3.0.2, and the dealer has to do the update. Will be interested to see what version it comes back with, as I do have the navigation.

I did not even realize 3.5 was out.

Dealer called, "A4" card is in. Will be going in tomorrow.....again

Without navigation MFT has been perfectly stable for me since updating (surprisingly so). I'm still battling with some of the simple bugs, but at least it has been usable. Service advisor told me they have cards coming in tomorrow, he already has one reserved for me, I'll let you know how it goes :)

I'm sure we'll be hearing from you :)

One good thing, this new dealership has been night and day different from the previous dealership that totally jacked my car up on several occasions....I give the new dealership credit for what they have done thus far. If I had gone to this new dealership from the get go, i probably wouldnt be where I am today......lesson learned. IF i go back into a Ford, I'm sticking with this dealership.....

One good thing, this new dealership has been night and day different from the previous dealership that totally jacked my car up on several occasions....I give the new dealership credit for what they have done thus far. If I had gone to this new dealership from the get go, i probably wouldnt be where I am today......lesson learned. IF i go back into a Ford, I'm sticking with this dealership.....

I'm pleasantly surprised by my new dealership as well. It's amazing how a dealership can make or break a brand. You would think that the manufacturers would want to get more involved w/ the customer satisfaction portion of the dealership.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On your iPhone, go to the list of bluetooth devices. Hit the little blue arrow next to SYNC. You should see an option to allow notifications there. This will only be there if you're MFT system has been updated to 3.5.1 and you've re-paired your phone.

I tryed that but all I saw on my phone was a tab for contacts, nothing about notifications. Any other ideas?

Back