High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '97 4.0 SOHC with 209000 miles and still runs great. SWame original Motor and Trans. 2WD

338,000 km on my '99 XLT with maintenance.The engine still uses no oil in between changes.

I have 98 Sohc. Bought it at 140 000 km(meters). At 350 kmeters had engine, trans and transfercase fully rebuilt with success. Now at 450km are doing both differentials and replacing the halfshafts and bearing what are still original. Have 95ex what has 335k (meters) with now issues, only ball joints and stilizer links done. That one has a engine what will run a million I think:salute:

98 XLT bought new from the dealer. Currently has 148K. Still runs strong, only regular maintenance & expendable parts. Parents sold it to me in 99 with 8K miles. 4 years ago I gave it to my son to go to college. It had +/- 60K. He drives the hell out of it. I live in Los Angeles. He went to school in SLO. Would drive home about every other weekend. Maybe 600+ miles round trip. Now he goes to UN Reno. Spent a year driving between Reno, Sacramento & SLO to visit his girlfriend until she transferred to UNR. Why should he care? I pay all expenses.
He is home now. I just had the tranny fluid changed. Getting new coolant hoses, flush, brake pads & tstat tomorrow.

252k on my 98 xlt v6 sohc all original

212,000 miles and running like new.

Replaced; all Timing parts, all Gaskets (except head), Oil pump w/ Melling HV M328.... at ~ 200,000 miles
(plan to rebuild in ~1-2 years or when it decides to quit; will strive for better mileage; Via electric fan, under drive pulley, increased volumetric inefficiency of the engine by adjusting intake/heads/cam/exhaust and of course re-adjusting fuel/air & timing) "Hoping for => 25mpg"

... And most of the sensors, water pump, radiator, alternator, belt, pulleys, water & vacuum hoses have been replaced as well

Transmission/transfer case, rear/front differentials & drive lines rebuilt @ 206,000 miles

Replaced rear leafs, all the suspension/body bushings, ball joints, front hubs, brakes/calipers/master cylinder, steering pump/rack/shaft @ 195,000 miles

Went through the interior recently; replaced/repaired all except seats (In the near future to rebuild seats w/ leather) and upgraded stereo to include; sound deadening, NAV/BLUETOOTH/CD/DVD, speakers and Sub, Steering wheel re-wrapped, and replaced all door seals except rain gutter seals at the top of the very top of the doors.

~ January 2013 getting new paint (replace rain gutter seals and rear side window seals), and apply under coat to frame and body
I had recently polished the headlights and resealed, but I might replace them and install HID lighting and convert all the other lights to LED inside & out

323,000 miles on 98 eddie bauer 4.0 L SOHC, Original fuel pump just quit and the typical intake gasket is all I have had to do it aside from maintanance. Still running strong and using no oil.

178K on a 2002 sport. Fuel pump at about 110k, and an alternator this summer. Oh, and the ball joints etc at 100k or so. Runs great and this summer when driving like a little old lady I got over 22mpg twice in rural driving. Mileage seems to really suffer after it gets below 55-60 degrees.

242,782 on my 2000 sohc auto. fuel pump went out last month and has been the only big problem. rough idle, too cheap to buy iac.

'99 Sport 4.0 SOHC. 179,000. Just had upper/lower intake gaskets and now it will run/idle like it should when starting on a cold morning. Thermostat housing and temp sensor at the same time...leaking coolant. Did the transmission vb swap out at 120K due to slip between 2nd and 3rd. Worked like a champ! Replaced upper/lower ball joints at 90K. Just working on little things now and will decide soon whether to keep or sell. Will need new tires by Spring. Love it regardless.

Just hit 103,000 on my 98 this morning. She's just a baby.

Hey everyone! I just picked up an '02 Expy with 269,000 miles from auction. the dash reads 60k (dont know what the deal is with that), but it drives like a dream! unbelievable. clean shiny exterior, leather with no tears, third seat, really good tires, for $2500, which includes title transfer and tag. :thumbsup::D

I have 295500 on my 2005 Explorer XLT. Replaced front right bearing about a week ago. My mechanic told me that my car runs extremely well for a truck with that many miles on it.

High Miles

My Babe Is @ 570,000 Kms. Its a 98 Explorer Sport. I love my FORD. I'm the only one who handles all the technical repairs; If you want it done right, learn to do it yourself! If you don't understand the full prosess for the job; Don't f*$% atempt it!!!

FORD KICKS *****

180K on my 98 and I am looking at replacing the trans. Started having trouble and found grit in the fluid. Oh by the way she's still on her second set of tires and has never been tuned up. 4th water pump though. She still gets 19-21 MPG around town in the hills of North East Tennessee

173xxx and runs great!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2000 sport had 253,000 miles on it before I traded in in. It had the original motor and tranny in it. The tranny had just started slipping too.

Back