Front locker now available for 95+?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front locker now available for 95+?!

01EB5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Allendale, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V-8 AWD
At www.truckperformance.com they list 2 different lockers for the 95+ explorers for the front axle! Has anyone noticed that? Is it a misprint? i'm interested if it's for real. $270 sounds not too expensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably a misprint, cause they list the front as a Dana 35. That's what's in the 91-94, but not what's in the 95+. It was discovered a while back that it was a hybrid type diff...Sterling Van Dyke...or some name like that. There's a few old threads describing it.

The powertrax does fit up front. . now. they've said that it worked an it hasn't before. . but now its for real. It is an auto-locker though and so it won't work very well with the Auto 4x4 system

Oops, sorry about that. My mistake. :eek:

It won;t work well with 4WD auto, but what about 4WD LOW? most of my off road driving is in 4WD low anyways. also if I were to drive on the road on auto would the powertrax cause any driveabilty issues?

The front axle is technically ad Dane 35 IFS (different than a Dana 35)- the IFS is important as this is why previous lockers have not worked. But if you'll look at the website for truckperformance you'll note that it is specifically for the IFS front end.

Has anyone installed yet? And if so what are it's driving charateristics in 2wd, 4Auto, 4Hi, and 4Lo?

95XLT

Yes this will fit its working great in my Ranger but yes when you drive on the roads going around a turn it will fight you going into a turn and then fight you comeing out of the turn but with your 95 if you just used 2wd on the streets you would be fine. And when you used Auto be very very very carefull 4low is the way to go. That locker is the cheeper PowerTrax Lock-Right it will make noises on turns the no-slip is a better choise I found it for $340.
Just a warning if you do this its not going to be carefree 4auto you will change you truck so do not let just eneyone drive it like your wife, girl friend, kid, it maybe dangers.
But wow it does alot of things it could not do before.

Wade

Go Off Road - How is Salt Lake these days? I'm originally from the Clearfield area - I can't tell ya how much I miss Utah.

Anyways, as I understant it, and correct me if I'm wrong, when in 2wd the locker doesn't do anything and it doesn't affect the driveability of the vehicle.

In 4hi and 4lo once the locker activates automatically it behaves as a fully locked axle with all of the steering characteristics of a locked axle

And in 4auto no one really knows yet.

Correct?

Salt Lake is nuts right now with all the Olympics but yes its a great state.

Yes in 2wd everthing is great. In 4x4 hi and low it still is very driveable I drove it to work one day on the street when we had some snow even on the freeway at 45 it drove fine. but the Auto 4x4 maybe something elce:nono:

Wade

95XLT, what was the other locker besides the powertrax that was listed on the web site?

Oh ok it's just the lock-rite. Wow the IFS explorer have more splines than the TTB models do. :D

Back