2013 Explorer Medium Stone interior color problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Medium Stone interior color problem

Jadespider

Reaction score
It's only been a little over a month and my driver's door is showing stress marks. A discoloration on the bins at the bottom of the door. The second door on driver side is showing the same problem too. Has this happened to anybody else?
2013 Explorer Limited Kodiak Brown with Medium Stone interior.
Example Picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jadespider/7373632842/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

7373632842_bfeeb2ccbb.jpg

IMG_20120614_202407 by jadefirerus, on Flickr

Sure they aren't scuff marks?

I tried cleaning them but they won't come off. They look like marks you'd get from bending plastic. The dealer replaced one panel with same problem but we thought it was a assembly problem. The picture from the passage door driver's side.

Both of my front doors are like this right from the factory. Looks like two new ones in the near future. Going to look at a few others coming in with the same interior color to see if they are all like that.

Same problem with discoloration

My 2013 Explorer is 3 months old and I had the panels replaced twice (one door), and once (one door). The other two door panels (original from factory) show the same "stress" discoloration. The panel that was replaced only once now is showing "scuff marks", which I tried cleaning with water and soap to no avail. I guess we will just have to let it be for now. I doubt that I will ever buy a Ford again in my life.

try heating the plastic with a hair dryer. This is an motocross trick for plastic fenders that get bent and turn white.

^ I agree a heat gun set on low or a hot hair dryer will take them right out. Have done it lots of times with stressed plastic parts. Funny the tech didn't try this before replacing the panel.

My 2013 Explorer is 3 months old and I had the panels replaced twice (one door), and once (one door). The other two door panels (original from factory) show the same "stress" discoloration. The panel that was replaced only once now is showing "scuff marks", which I tried cleaning with water and soap to no avail. I guess we will just have to let it be for now. I doubt that I will ever buy a Ford again in my life.

Hi resjud,

I want to get this concern into the hands of your regional customer service manager by escalating your case. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll make sure your information gets into the right hands and that you're contacted promptly.

try heating the plastic with a hair dryer. This is an motocross trick for plastic fenders that get bent and turn white.

^ I agree a heat gun set on low or a hot hair dryer will take them right out. Have done it lots of times with stressed plastic parts. Funny the tech didn't try this before replacing the panel.

Thanks for the suggestions, Edgieguy and jeff59rt1!

Crystal

No warranty coverage from Ford so far

:mad:

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for your help and private messages trying to address the problems with the discoloration on the four doors of my new 2013 Ford Explorer. I heard today from the dealership (after bringing the car twice for pictures). Despite the fact that I was told that the regional customer services manager would contact me by phone, the dealership received a communication from Ford denying warranty coverage. I was told that Ford believes that chemicals were used on the door panels, which caused the discoloration, even though I have repeatedly told Ford (prior warranty claim) and the dealership (during this latest service call) that I did not use any chemicals to clean the interior. When I asked for the name of the Ford person who made the decision, Planet Ford (the dealership) said that they did not have the name --"we just received an electronic thread with Ford's response". Excuse me? I am having a hard time believe this.

So, despite two dealership visits to take pictures, promises that Ford would find a solution for me, warranty is denied. Now I have to deal with Ford "Customer Care". Perhaps the customer relationship representative who is assisting me can do a better job that Ford's "customer service regional manager".

I guess if Ford stands by this warranty denial, I will have to resort to the arbitration procedure (after filing a claim with the Better Business Bureau, and perhaps call the local TV news "consumer hotline").

Question for those with the same problem -- did you use any chemicals? Did the dealership or Ford suggest that you used chemicals?

Ford's final decision - no warranty coverage

Well -- I just finished my "appeal" with Ford "Customer Service". They indicated that they will not replace the panel under warranty because the panels were discolored with chemicals. Of course, when I said that I did not clean the doors in questions with any chemicals, the representative stuck to the official answer, "not much we can do, it has been appealed twice". Please remember that, despite Ford's and the dealership's assurance that the regional customer service manager would contact me, no one from Ford contacted me to discuss the problem (i.e. to find out if I had cleaned the doors; if so, what did I use?, any chemicals, etc.).

Guess, I will have to handle this problem through the local TV news (customer hotline) and the arbitration process. Irrespective, I will never again buy a Ford, and will make sure to tell all my friends about this problem. Actually, I may just put a sign on my car asking folks to call me to relate my experience before they buy a Ford.

:mad:

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for your help and private messages trying to address the problems with the discoloration on the four doors of my new 2013 Ford Explorer. I heard today from the dealership (after bringing the car twice for pictures). Despite the fact that I was told that the regional customer services manager would contact me by phone, the dealership received a communication from Ford denying warranty coverage...

Hi resjud,

I know this has been a frustrating experience for you and that you didn't get the answer you were hoping for. Since you were given a final decision with your warranty claim, I don't have any additional avenues I can explore to assist you with this concern. If you have any questions regarding this decision, you can always reach out to our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.

Crystal

No real customer care

Hi Crystal,

Thanks, but no thanks. Not much help from your company's customer care group. Guess we will have to let an arbitrator decide. I have been getting plenty of questions from folks on the street about my sign.

Mine were like that right off the truck. Took photos before anyone in the shop touched them. They look like stress marks from someone hitting them with a rubber mallet or their hand putting them on from the factory.

Dont be surprised if the Ford dealership or Ford Motor Company accuse you of having used chemicals to clean the panels so they don't have to honor the warranty. How do you prove a negative, uh? It's easy for Ford to say that chemicals damaged the panels so you have no choice but to give up or arbitrate.

Find ths problem on the top of the driver's door ....... Really weird.

Well..finally went to arbitration under Ford's BBB Auto Line program. Ford claimed that the defects were "normal wear and tear" even though they could have been caused by the "flexing and bending" of installing the panels at the factory. Despite this admission, the arbitrator found that the discoloration was not covered by the warranty. He claimed that under lemon laws the problem must substantially impair the use of the vehicle, etc. So, you can buy a brand new Ford with these discolorations and Ford Motor Company can just deny covering it under warranty. Like I said, I will never buy a Ford again. Off to the courthouse now..I guess.

Well..finally went to arbitration under Ford's BBB Auto Line program. Ford claimed that the defects were "normal wear and tear" even though they could have been caused by the "flexing and bending" of installing the panels at the factory. Despite this admission, the arbitrator found that the discoloration was not covered by the warranty. He claimed that under lemon laws the problem must substantially impair the use of the vehicle, etc. So, you can buy a brand new Ford with these discolorations and Ford Motor Company can just deny covering it under warranty. Like I said, I will never buy a Ford again. Off to the courthouse now..I guess.
No offense, but who cares? Stress on the plastic? Big whoop! No need to make such a ridiculous scene about it...IMAO.

What you can do for yourself is instead of buying new panels, go behind the panel and just cut off the bracket or whatever that's creating the stress mark. No need to make a big fuss about.

Well -- I just finished my "appeal" with Ford "Customer Service". They indicated that they will not replace the panel under warranty because the panels were discolored with chemicals. Of course, when I said that I did not clean the doors in questions with any chemicals, the representative stuck to the official answer, "not much we can do, it has been appealed twice". Please remember that, despite Ford's and the dealership's assurance that the regional customer service manager would contact me, no one from Ford contacted me to discuss the problem (i.e. to find out if I had cleaned the doors; if so, what did I use?, any chemicals, etc.).

Guess, I will have to handle this problem through the local TV news (customer hotline) and the arbitration process. Irrespective, I will never again buy a Ford, and will make sure to tell all my friends about this problem. Actually, I may just put a sign on my car asking folks to call me to relate my experience before they buy a Ford.

With me, I sent two letters to Ford and NEVER received an answer to either! Real Customer Service! :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1992ford green - thanks for your opinion. However, when someone spends the kind of money that Ford is now charging for its vehicles, you would expect them to honor their warranty. Like I said, if they can deny to repair the item because it does not "substantially" impair the use or safety of the vehicle, despite their admission that it was a factory issue, then there is really no bumper to bumper warranty. IMAO

Back