2002 XLT intermittent starting issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT intermittent starting issues

2002-XLT

Reaction score
I purchased a 2002 XLT a couple months ago now I'm having intermittent starting issues. I'm not sure if this is related to the cold weather or what. I don't believe it's a problem with the battery or starter. When I turn the key it sounds healthy and wants to start but won't start sometimes. Other times it fires right up. I've done a little research online, some suggest it could be the fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel pump, PVC valve, etc. Anyone experience this issue? Have any thoughts for how I can fix this without taking it to the shop for some expensive repair?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it a hard start? is the engine cold?

i had a problem with my ex a few years back (only in cold weather, and cold start ups) that when you go try to start the car...i would need to hold the key longer than usual to start it...sometimes it would just keep cranking a few seconds and i would have to turn the key to off and start again to get it to start...

i ended up bringing it to the mechanic because i thought my fuel filter or fuel pump was being faulty but he found that my fuel pump relay was bad...popped in a new relay from ford and it was good as new...started right up...

I'm chasing down a very similar bug right now. In the no-start condition is the fuel pump priming when you first turn the ignition to "ON"? If you're in a quiet area you can open the drivers door, lean your head outside, and turn the key to On (don't crank). You should hear the pump buzz for 1 second.

Well now it's not starting at all and broken down at the gym. It started just fine when I left the house. I tried to listen for the fuel pump before I left the house, I think I heard it. I drove it to the gas station for a fill up. When I left there it started just fine. Then I went to the gym and let it sit for about an hour now it won't start at all. I tried to turn it half way to prime the pump before starting but still nothing. It wants to start but then immediately dies. It seems like it's not getting fuel. The starter is strong. It's 60 here today, humid from prior rain but not currently raining. Luckily the gym is right next to an auto shop. Guess I'll go there tomorrow and see what they think. Any idea what a fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel relay, pcv valve or coil costs?...assuming it's one of those issues.

they are all relatively cheap parts, but you'll probably get hit in the labor department.

most expensive would probably be the fuel pump, then coil.

depending of what you replace the parts range from $10-250.

I would either get it running or towed home, then replace the coil and fuel filter first. coil first and in my opinion.

On my old ex (a 94) I had the exact same issue. It turned out to be the fuel pump relay as was noted in a post above. If I remember right the part was around $10-15 from Ford and never had the issue again. Might be worth a few bucks to try first before you tear into the fuel pump. The way we figured it out was to swap out the fuel pump and abs relays. A few days later I started it up and the abs light came on and stayed on.

On my old ex (a 94) I had the exact same issue. It turned out to be the fuel pump relay as was noted in a post above. If I remember right the part was around $10-15 from Ford and never had the issue again. Might be worth a few bucks to try first before you tear into the fuel pump. The way we figured it out was to swap out the fuel pump and abs relays. A few days later I started it up and the abs light came on and stayed on.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I called a Ford dealer in the area and they have a relay in stock for $16.99. The auto shop says I need to replace the pump, filter, relay and skid plate? for $1,100. I think they're trying to take me. I'll swap the relay and try to call their bluff. Thanks for the input.

Any new news on this problem,Im dealing with it now. Starts fine sometimes and then not so much sometimes. Usually happens after it warms up,Im pullin my hair out. Im gonna replace the relay like suggested above and see if that helps

Back