Battery drain -story again, 6CD player? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery drain -story again, 6CD player?

zeizeies

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Ltd 4.6
Try to figure out whats wrong; -02 limited 4.6 4x4 battery won`t last long.
Found out there is a lot of battery drains in -02-05 models.

Loosing 0,5A when standing. Max acceptable is usually around 0,02A. Few days -> dead.

- brand new altenator, working perfectly, no leak, pushing 14,7v no load, 14,4v with "everything on".
- brand new battery (third one in 2 months). Thats ok too, checked.
- half of the drain goes thru 60A fuse #1, and another half thru 60A #29 (they feeds interior fuse boxes)
- things behind three fuses (in passenger cabin fuse box) dries battery; #3 (Radio, Amplifier, Power antenna, DVD) -0,35A, #17 (Delayed acc. coil, Battery saver,
Interior lamps front and rear,Glove compartment lamp) -0,1A and #20 (PATS, Driver seat switch, Memory switch, Driver seat module, BSM,Sunload sensor) -0,05A

When I take these three troublemaker fuses out, leak is 0,02A.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does removing any one of those fuses on its own impact the remaining drain on the other 2 circuits?

Do wires from these circuits travel through any common conduits?

Have you tried unplugging any of the individual audio components to see if there's a change? I can imagine some sort of common tie between delayed ACC and the audio stuff, not sure about #20.

Also do you have a wiring diagram book? You might have to unplug each individual component from each circuit to see if one of them is causing the problem. Sounds like a blast....

"Does removing any one of those fuses on its own impact the remaining drain on the other 2 circuits?"

No. Of course there is small variation in readings, but not bigger than -+ 0.02.

I don`t have wiring diagram. Couldn`t find from net, yet, but must get one. Ideas?

"You might have to unplug each individual component from each circuit to see if one of them is causing the problem."
I think You are right, thats the way to do it.... :)

Next investigation; I`ll take player out and check where the leak is, in CD-player or in subwoofer (orig.)

I have a similar problem on 02 EB. fully charged battery dies in just 2 days.
Kindly update the thread with what you find, it will help some of us.
Thanks

I have a similar problem on 02 EB. fully charged battery dies in just 2 days.

I found 20-30 threads about battery drain problem, but nobody seems to find causes.

Kindly update the thread with what you find, it will help some of us.
Thanks

Will do :)

Hunting continue end of this week.
Taking main fuses #1 and 29 out every night...

Weeks running by, no time to do. I`ll try continue hunting soon...

Update:

Two years now playing with fuses.
Today I found time to do something about it, and the problem. Not a big surprise; the radio-cd -player. Ate 0.5A.
Intresting enough, disconnecting the player drain dropped to 0.02A, after half to one hour. Good.

I made temporary fix: cutted light grey/yellow (+12v) wire and connected extra wire and on-off -switch, hide in the glove box.

Now thinking if I buy new/remanufactured original type or aftermarket player, maybe with navi but connecting (wires) can be problem?

Back