Harsh Ride | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Harsh Ride

pickup man

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 mercury mountaineer
I have 98 Mounty 5.0. I lowered the front 1.5 inches, installed Edlbrock shocks , 98 cobra wheels with 275 55 17's It jolts you when driven over man hole covers and similar imperfections in the road. If the bump is big enough, it feels like the whole truck is scooting sidways like the tires are bouncing off the ground. I just dismissed it for years and drove around said things. I just bought another v8 Mounty last night and realized how bad it really is compared to stock. The question is, are the shocks too stiff or are the shorter tires causing this. Or both. I dont mind putting stock shocks back on it , but not if it rides the same. Dont want to change the wheels back or raise it back up. Just seeing if anyone else has run into this. Actually want to lower and put saleen wheels on the new one ,but not if it rides like the old one. Wifey no likey.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its the big wheels and lowered ride height.
Could be the shocks to, but I'm not sure. Never used em before

are you hitting the bump stops?

Mine is doing the same exact thing. Mine is a '97 2WD Explorer 5.0 lowered about 2" in the front but have 235/75R17 up front (275/55R17 in rear). I cut my bump stops and it doesn't look like I am hitting them. I could use new shocks but just like in the original post it feels like the wheel is bouncing (and making me nuts)

My dad has 18s on his v8 awd explorer and it has a nice ride. Did you cut the bump stop and install shorter sway bar end links?

You're going to have to take a good hard look at the intended function of your car then go from there.
You really can't go wheeling with low profile tyres.

Did you lower the rear too? If you lowered just the front their is more weight being pushed up front causing a harsher ride.

Did you lower the rear too? If you lowered just the front their is more weight being pushed up front causing a harsher ride.

Also less on the rear causing it to walk out-might want to check the 5th shock out. As noted above, see how hard you are hitting the rear bumpstops. You might want to install shorter ones.

Did you install 2" shorter shocks ? You should have. You could be bottoming out on them also.

Mine IS lowered 2" on the rear also. The condition does not seem to be happening in the rear at all. I have NOT installed shorter shocks and I had cosidered that may be the issue. How would I go about ordering shorter absorbers? I was going to put new ones on all 4 corners anyway, the rears will need to be ordered 2" longer based on me installing blocks that move the shock plate further away rather than closer like the front.

I did not lower the rear. I just wanted the front slightly lower than front. I know lowering the front takes weight off the rear. Couldnt be any more than the difference between a full tank and a 1/4 tank. I did not cut bump stops yet. It feels like it jolts at the very begining of travel like shock valving to stiff. I will put stock ones on and see how it feels. The tires are lower profile than stock but they are a SUV size tire. Also the sway bars must be stiffer on some of these. I have 2 1998's and the one I just got corners flatter than the one thats lowered with 275/55/17's. Pretty imbarrasing.

Physically look at the front bump stops and see if the arms are resting on them.
If so, lift the truck off the ground and remove both. Check for clearance and test
drive for bottoming out. Solution may be simple as button stops or drop shocks. GL

Back