• Register Today It's free!

What is causing my harsh ride?

99ExploratorySUV

Reaction score
City, State
Voorhees, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 4x4 SOHC XLT
Okay, I just need some advice regarding my suspension. I have Monroe Reflex shocks, an EE rear sway bar, an Add-a-Leaf in the rear, and rear energy suspension leaf spring bushings. My ride, however, is extremely harsh, feeling every crappy pothole this town has to offer. And it crashes over them making lots of noise. Is it the sway bars? Or those shocks? If its the shocks, whats a better kind to go with for pure riding comfort? Note, the suspension feels stiff when going over bumps in the front AND the back. Its a 99 by the way. Thanks for any replies

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they're Energy Suspension, they're poly, no? They last longer, but they transmit every possible vibration, etc...

I don't think the EE swaybar has anything to do with it.

I think the combination of the add-a-leaf, the bushings, and the Reflex shocks is makinghte truck stiffer. If I'm not mistaken, the Reflex shocks are a little less forgiving, since they're valved to reduce roll, etc- and they seem to have less dampening on bumps.

It will be generally stiffer since it is an Ex, and it's body on frame- but I think ^ that ^ would be a place to start.

Do you feel a vibration/noise/clunk under your feet when you go over bumps? I know the poly pads for the torsion bars like to fail, and I think that's where my clunking is coming from since it's still there and the rest of the front end is good/new.

The add a leafs will make it harsher. Sway bar bushings (or other worn bushings/balljoints) are probably the noise.

My sway bar bushings are all new all around. But in terms of balljoints, I know the uppers have got to be replaced, but I did, however, replace the lowers. I might look at some new shocks. I know I did a few things to stiffen up the back, what with the poly bushings and add a leaf, but the thing is, the front is just as stiff as the back when it comes to going over potholes. And the only thing that's the same on all four corners is those Reflex shocks. So, what do you think, replace upper control arms (balljoints), and swap out shocks? What shocks would have a smoother ride, though? Thanks for all the input, guys, its much appreciated.

What tires are you using?

Switching from Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Michelin LTX M/S improved my ride ALOT.

Get a custom leaf pack from Deaver or National. More leafs, but thinner ones will make your ride TONS better (and flex better too). Also get some good shocks, I love my Bilsteins.

What tires are you using?

Switching from Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Michelin LTX M/S improved my ride ALOT.

^ I can vouch for that ^

I have a buddy that swapped to some LTX's and his Ex rides a LOT nicer now. The LTX I've always thought of as more of a "Van" tire vs a "Truck" tire like some others and rides a lot nicer without sacrificing much traction (if any)

To a certain extent, don't overexpect though- it is a body on frame short wheelbase truck... :shrug:

I had serious issues with my harsh rides. i replace shocks which did nothing. The damn body mounts were worn and hitting. Made alot of noise just going over small bumps. It almost sounded like it was coming from my rear hatch door. Replaced the worn out body mounts and it drives like new again! Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! As far as tires go, I have Definity Dakota All-terrains. But, just as a note, the ride was harsh before I got them too, which was recently. The body mounts I have felt by hand, and they're not like crumbling or anything, they still feel hard and spongyish... Aren't they foam? I might look into those leaf packs, cuz mine squeak like freaking crazyyyyyyy, its so freaking annoying. How much those leaf packs go for? Are the bilsteins real expensive? Thanks for all the replies, guys, it helps to consider everything since there's so many factors that seem to be affecting the ride.

Leaf packs will be kind of pricey, and shipping them is big $$$, as you can imagine. Try and find a spring shop around you somewhere maybe? Just go in and talk to them, explain what you want, etc. Just remember, more leafs, that are thinner, will ride and flex better than fewer, thicker leafs.
As for the Bilsteins, I think I got mine on sale at Shockwarehouse.com, you get an EF discount there too, and they have a Q&A thread on here. Don't remember what I paid, but 4 of them shipped was around 300 I think. If you want a plush, car-like ride I would go with something other than the Bilsteins. I love mine, I can really feel the road and how the vehicle is acting, but on the downside, I can really feel the road, lol. I've heard good things about the Edelbrock shocks, also the Rancho 9000 are nice. Since they are adjustable you can make it nice and soft for the road, then crank up the compression and rebound when you need to.

Just remember, its a short wheelbase, body on frame, truck. Not a Caddy. Don't expect miracles. ;)

x2 on the local spring shop. Lots of people order stuff online, but call a few shops around you- local spring shops are almost always cheaper than online stores, and they're right next door if you need something.

Back