need advice, factory rebuilt or rebuild existing tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need advice, factory rebuilt or rebuild existing tranny?

Tarpman

Reaction score
City, State
Escalon, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT 4.0
I've got 335,000 miles on my Explorer. My transmission is working okay, but I'm assuming I'll be getting a new one this year sometime, at least planning for it money wise. It has the shutter and I'm thinking it's starting to slip once in a while, just don't want to be stuck somewhere with kids in the car. I can get a Motorcraft rebuilt from the a friend who is ford parts manager for around 2150.00,service advisor told me they would put it in for 500.00 labor. So around 2650.00 - 2750.00. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. I can get mine rebuilt by a guy who builds drag cars and boats and has a good reputation. He's semi retired, but used to have his own transmission shop. Says he'll use HD clutches and bands, new torque converter, and put in shift kit. He also said something about eliminating the cold start valve. New solenoids to. He'll give me a 1 year warranty. He said about 1700.00 - 1800.00. But his shop is about 60 miles from me. If there was a warranty issue, I'd have to drive it or tow it to him. Ford dealer isn't too far and towing is included in warranty. Which way to go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the Ford price include a new torque converter?

Does the Ford price include a new torque converter?

Yes, my friend also said they don't always replace solenoids. Only if they're bad

defeating the thermostat

I suggest against defeating the thermostat that controls the ATF external cooling loop. The PCM uses the output of the thermistor in the transmission to determine the transmission fluid temperature. That determines cold start shift schedule, torque converter clutch inhibition and EPC pressure correction. The transmission has an optimum operating temperature range just like the engine. If you're concerned about overheating increase the external cooling capacity.

If you read the thread by "Electrician" "how to beef up 5R55w/5R55s transmission ". It tells about it (eliminating cold start valve) . Sound to me like it restricts flow until the transmission reaches certain temp. So there is no fluid flow until then. I don't know for sure. Just looking for advice from people who have gone with rebuilt from factory or rebuild existing. Warranty is better from factory but I've dealt with ford on warranty issue with my rebuilt long block from them, and they are assholes. Also probably depends on guy doing rebuild.

Back