Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!!

Turn the windows off then and make them ask you to move them up or down :)

Oh if that only worked. All you wind up with is a teen in a *****y mood & A wife even *****er :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dose anyone else have the, for lack of a better term, "wind hammer" when you have the windows part way down?...
Grizz593,

Some buffeting from the front windows being open can be normal; it depends on the crosswinds. This is from page 93 of the 2012MY Explorer Owner Guide 2nd Printing:

Rear Window Buffeting: When one or both of the rear windows are open, the vehicle may demonstrate a wind throb or buffeting noise. This noise can be alleviated by lowering a front window approximately 2–3 inches (5–8 cm).”

Don’t forget to download a free copy of the Owner Guide here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

It’s quintessential to be read up on your ride! :D

...I challenge you to take ANY vehicle out there and roadtest it and NOT have this happen... Get back to us all with the results..
RonJrSVCMGR,

As Barney Stinson would say, “Challenge accepted!” ;)

open the back windows.. all vehicles do that when the front windows are down.. its a pressure diffference causing the sound
I had this issue in my Escape as well as my Explorer. Cracking the back windows slightly resolves it
Ive had it in all 7 of my cars. All I need to do is crack a back window an inch and it stops.
Yep, every vehicle I've owned also.

It happens on your '98 because it's happened on my 95, 97, and both of my 2000's.
Blee1099, RoxyGrl, blwnsmoke, & Joe Dirt,

Thanks for everyone “sounding off!” LOL

...It's happened to every car I have ever owned, driven, or been a passenger in, to some degree. I do like the term 'wind hammer' though. That is awesome! :)
I’m with you, VinceL; it sounds like a super hero’s name!

Cory

^ The gauntlet has been thrown down :D

It's happened to every car I have ever owned, driven, or been a passenger in, to some degree. I do like the term 'wind hammer' though. That is awesome! :)
That's it Vince. We can call Grizz593's Ex the 'Wind Hammer'. Awesome! :D

Peter

In Nov 2011 I said the same thing about the wind noise. Open one window at 45 mph
You would have to yell to be heard. Open the moon roof the noise was not much better.

Installed EGR's window vent visors that does help.

Your term wind hammer is a very good description of what it was like.

Hope this helps.

I got a set of EGR's from AutoAnything for $64.95 included shipping. The only difference between the EGR and Weathertech (which I have on my 2010 F150 Supercrew) is the EGR have the "EGR" written on the two front units.

The only problem that I had with the EGR was when I first installed the front unit the power window would stop and go down. The window would not close all the way without pulling the unit out-wards. I called EGR they said Ford's window is set too sensitive and that if I would leave the window up about 3 days it would work. This would give the unit time to set into shape. I left the units set for 4 days and they are working just fine now.

I just noticed a problem with my new Explorer XLT. I bought it last Novemeber and I now have 2,964 miles on it.

Saturday was the very first time I had a chance to open more than one window while driving. With 2 windows down driving over 35mph I heard a whipping noise coming from the car. The faster I drove the louder the noise got. I thought I was back in Vietnam in a helocopter! You can not hear the noise if the windows are up but after you open 2 or more the noise is really bad. Has anyone encountered this???? If anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

The whipping noise happens to all the new aerodynamic vehicles. It'll happen when you bring down the windows a certain way. It's not a design flaw, many new cars have this because of how the air will build up pressure areas around the car. If it happens, bring another window down and you should be fine. It usually happens from the rear windows so try cracking the front too if you're opening the rear.

Btw, thanks for your service to this great country during the war in Vietnam!

I agree with 1995E. Happens with new EX old MDX and my volvo. Only happens when just the rears are lowered, goes away when the fronts are opened a bit. I've spent my fair share in a blackhawk and its the same as sitting in the back right side, can be unbearable at times.

The problem is called ' buffeting ' it is an aerodynamic problem.It is a disruption of the air. Designers have the same problem with anything that will go through moving air. This includes planes, skyscrapers, even bridges. Mechanical things care less about the sound but the vibrations can destroy what it is resonating. With only one window open you are basically turning your car into a big wistle.

Really fun when you roll down just the rear windows!!!

Blonde to Doc,
when I do this to my finger it hurts!

Doc to Blonde,
don't do that :)

if it bothers you that much - don't roll down the windows :)

I'd rather leave the windows up than go to the Dealer with this. They may be nice and not laugh at you to your face, but boy I'm guessing they will as soon as you leave. You deserve better, but "buffeting" wind noise is really just one of those things that's real.....best regards Plum

Thank you all for your post. This is my first new car since 1982. I appreciate evryone's advise since i do not know that much about new cars. I will take it out today and try opening different windows to see if i can find something i can live with. I have never heard of buffeting until now. I did look it up and did not realize this could happen, but it can. Thank you all.

No, there's more than one way you can take something ...
especially if laughing /smiling icons are included in the post... :)

With all due respect - nothing 'mean' meant by it ---

and using the old blonde joke (by the way both I and the wife are blonde!) was just trying to lighten it up...

just that if something bothers you, then don't do it...

believe me when I say, life's too serious, so I try to lighten it up whenever I can...

in a car forum is not the place I typically bring up the down side of life as we know it...

glad to do it if you want, but suffice it to say having lost TOO many relatives (including a 16 year old son) - i try NOT to be serious too often - good luck to you...

sgtdon,

If for instance you have your one or two rear windows down and it is creating the buffeting, simply crack one of the front windows by about an inch or two and it should stop.

I'm sure you'll find a combination of open vs. closed and by how much that will give you your desired effect without experiencing the buffeting as well.

On a lighter note... I like to lock out the rear windows so my kids can not roll them up, then I'll role them down and get some serious buffeting going and sit back and laugh at them as they cover their ears :D I know, mean dad..... My 2004 Expedition was even worse for buffeting....

Lastly sgtdon, thank you for your service!!!

I did take the car out on the express way and tried changing the windows, IT WORKED GREAT. TXAGGIE you are right, with both rear windows down it is crazy! At least I know now what it is and will not be startled by the familar noise again. Thank you all..................

Keep thinking "nobody" has worse problems than you. Daughter, granddaughter, 3 brothers, and a whole lot of others! Life is not all fun and games.
AS INFO: P.T.S.D. is no laughing matter. When you have it and try to get some help on the incident there is NOTHING humorous about it!

Me too

To the original poster - do you have the dual panel moon roof? I do and I have a similar rattle. I know the buffeting noise the other posters talked about, but my noise is not buffeting. I think its the headliner on the rear moon roof. Sorry for late post, but I just got my 2013 XLT and noticed this a couple of times. I need to do some more tests with the rear moon roof open and closed ( need good weather!) to see if there is any difference, but I am fairly sure its the moon roof headliner. Any body else with a dual panel moon roof have this?

To the original poster - do you have the dual panel moon roof? I do and I have a similar rattle. I know the buffeting noise the other posters talked about, but my noise is not buffeting. I think its the headliner on the rear moon roof. Sorry for late post, but I just got my 2013 XLT and noticed this a couple of times. I need to do some more tests with the rear moon roof open and closed ( need good weather!) to see if there is any difference, but I am fairly sure its the moon roof headliner. Any body else with a dual panel moon roof have this?
Welcome to the Forum psj. :wavey:
I have the dual panel moonroof and do not have any rattling noise. Only a little bit of wind noise. I'm not sure what you meant when you said "rear moon roof open". :scratch: Only the front panel opens. The back one is fixed.
At least it is on my 2011.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, with the windows and moon roof open but the shade closed on the back moon roof, the shade on the back makes a flapping noise.

Back