• Register Today It's free!

Brake caliper seized

Gropper

Reaction score
City, State
Kanata Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT 4WD
Hey guys, my 2011 explorer had a caliper seize on the back drives side and has destroyed my rotor and pads. I'm just under 40,000km can you give me an idea of what should be covered under the warranty and what won't be covered.

Want and idea before i Take it in tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!!

Gropper

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, imagine that. I had the exact same thing happen to mine......

Would you mind letting me know how it worked out for you??

Seized? How so? Was it like the caliper got stuck or something? My 2011 made some choking thud sounds when I was braking after washing my car. I complained about braking issues last year but they haven't reappeared until this winter. What I notice is the rotors being very, very, rusty after they get wet in some rain or something. After driving in snowy streets and having salt on the road, it just makes a horrible rough braking sound.

I think you should get that with warranty because lets admit it... Calipers shouldn't get seized... Especially if you drive everyday, regularly brake, and so on. It can be very dangerous because what if it got stuck the other way where you had NO BRAKING?

It's less than 3 years old. Those things shouldn't happen.
Wait, now that I think about it. Doesn't Ford have a
100,000 mile/5 year powertrain warranty standard when you bought the vehicle?
I remember seeing it on my window sticker.

I don't believe anything will be covered.. Calipers, brakes etc are wear and tear items that are only covered under the 1yr, 12,000 mile warranty.

That's correct. Unless you have extended maintenance.

A caliper should not seize that early. But it does happen. As said by others it is a wear item and may not be covered.

I have yet to rebuild a caliper on my homda and it has 24000km on it. Is this a common issue on tue EX?

I had my wheels off the other day and I inspected the brake system on my 2013. I noticed on the caliper around the piston boot was solid rust. The vehicle was built in August and has 4000miles on it

I don't see anything in the warranty that would exclude a caliper. When one stuck on my Mercury Mariner, it was covered under the Ford PremiumCare ESP.

The ESPs also cover damage to a non-covered part caused by failure of a covered part, which my I didn't know when my caliper stuck. It is harder to tell whether that is true of the warranty. The exclusion for brake pads and rotors is for parts that fail due to "normal wear and tear," and that isn't what caused this failure.

They declined to cover mine on the ESP because it was a caliper and a wear and tear item.Directly from the warranty people. :(

They declined to cover mine on the ESP because it was a caliper and a wear and tear item.Directly from the warranty people. :(

Maybe the Canadian contract is different. The ESP that I bought in January excludes "brakes (front hub, drums, shoes, linings, disc rotors, pads)." Nothing about calipers. When the one in my Mariner failed, the service department put the part number into the system, which said that it was covered.

Definitely fight it, like WiEx said, his was covered and calipers don't usually fail unless if you leave the car sitting for too long or the rubber hose breaks down over time and causes the rubber to sit in the caliper. However, you have a pretty new Explorer and obviously, maybe some debris or manufacturing defect is causing this issue.

It'd suck if you had to pay for such a thing. It's a new car. Try contacting customer care. This is something you should only hear about from old cars or something.

I had my wheels off the other day and I inspected the brake system on my 2013. I noticed on the caliper around the piston boot was solid rust. The vehicle was built in August and has 4000miles on it

I think that my brakes sound rusty all the time. When I am stopping at parking lot speeds they sound like they are constantly rusty. when I back out of the garage in the morning they sound extremely rusty. Any thoughts? My dealer had my rotors resurfaced but they still sound the same.

There is a TSB out on the 2011 brakes sounding like that. They changed the pads. I had it done on my 2011.

Calipers are a mechanical part, they don't "wear". They don't come in contact w/ any metal. I've never heard of calipers being a "wear" item. If you an aftermarket ESP then it's possible that there is an exclusions list that specifically lists calipers however.

I agree with 13Sport.....calipers don't wear/tear, the only thing moving in a caliper is the piston that pushes the pad against the rotor. We are talking about a $50 part so I would escalate this through your regional rep.

Hey guys, my 2011 explorer had a caliper seize on the back drives side and has destroyed my rotor and pads. I'm just under 40,000km can you give me an idea of what should be covered under the warranty and what won't be covered.

Thanks for the help!!

Gropper

Hi Gropper,

I recommend getting my colleagues at Ford Canada involved so they can assist. They can be reached at 1-800-565-3673.

Crystal

Thanks for the help!!

Gropper
Had my 2011 in to have the Winter wheels swapped out. I only have 13,300 km (8,300 mi) on it and they recommended a brake service which I had done since all the wheels were off anyway. I was a bit surprised but figured I'd get it cleaned and lubed and adjusted if necessary since it does tend to see less driving time than normal and maybe be more prone to having certain items seize.

Peter

Just brought by 2011 in for this same problem.

2011 Explorer with 30,000 km.

Both rear calipers failed which destroyed rotors/pads.

Rear brakes seized on highway while driving, when i stopped the rotors were smoking, i thought they were going to catch on fire.

Dealer says calipers failed. I am waiting for them to tell me what is covered.

M.J.N.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 Explorer with 30,000 km.

Both rear calipers failed which destroyed rotors/pads.

Rear brakes seized on highway while driving, when i stopped the rotors were smoking, i thought they were going to catch on fire.

Dealer says calipers failed. I am waiting for them to tell me what is covered.

M.J.N.

All the new builds have the larger Sport/Interceptor callipers now so make sure you get the upgrade.

Back