Will I lose that much towing going from SOHC to OHV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will I lose that much towing going from SOHC to OHV?

rocket22

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4 wd
We are buying a replacement truck for our 2000 and don't want to deal with the SOHC rattle again, am I loosing a bunch in towing or mpg? The OHV go forever and the SOHC will have issues at 150k....my opinion.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know the ohv has alot less power and i was told most sohc went at 80k

gross combined weight rating

According to my owner's guide for a 2WD and 4WD 4 door with automatic and 3.73:1 axle ratio the gross combined weight rating decreases from 10,000 lbs to 9,000 lbs when going from the SOHC to the OHV V6. The maximum trailer weight decreases from 5,940 lbs to 4,960 lbs.

I suggest a double row (2 inch thick) radiator core for towing since the OHV V6 is susceptible to blowing head gaskets if it overheats.

FWIW. I tow an 1800 pound 1 ton Chevy truck bed trailer around all the time. Yes, that is empty weight. LOL. My OHV explorer definitely feels the weight but tows it just fine. I personally don't see much reduction in MPG when towing either. I have towed this trailer behind both a 5 speed 4x4 and an automatic 4x4. both sitting at 215,000 plus miles on the tired odometer.

The OHV is a great motor. I had a 98 XLT 4x4 5-speed, it now has about 215k and no engine issues. I drove my 2000 Sport through the Colorado rockies at 12,000 ft towing a trailer with 2 motorcycles. I couldn't get out of 2nd gear going up those hills but it never blinked.

I also don't think the OHV would lose much towing capacity over the SOHC (what 2000StreetRod posted above) because the torque ratings on the motors are similar. The high RPM horsepower the SOHC has over the OHV doesn't help much for towing.

I am thinking of towing a Maxim 2100 with this

Dry weight of boat, 3500, and estimating trailer at 600-700. I previously towed a 19 ft boat with the same truck 2WD and bumper hitch and no problems. Will I be too underpowered to tow this boat? I will be under max by about 700 pounds and will add a trans cooler and type III.

why not get a V8?

Gas mileage

If I go v8 I will get an envoy or full size. 99% this truck is work truck, will only tow once in a great while and all flat roads.

If I go v8 I will get an envoy or full size. 99% this truck is work truck, will only tow once in a great while and all flat roads.

Doesn't really matter though, because the V8 will be around the same cost with greater reliability and better towing anyways.

There really is no point on getting a V6 2nd gen IMO unless you want the selectable 4WD transfer case they come with.

Doesn't really matter though, because the V8 will be around the same cost with greater reliability and better towing anyways.

There really is no point on getting a V6 2nd gen IMO unless you want the selectable 4WD transfer case they come with.

Or if you want a 5-speed. The 5-speed/OHV V6 is a durable combination.

I agree it's best to avoid any V6 / automatic.

i find the v6 and v8 fuel economy to be about the same (lousy) so i wouldn't let that put you off the v8. besides the v8 trans is much stronger. i don't know what kind of mpg the envoy gets, but the 5.0L ford gets decent mpg on the highway. i've seen well over 20 mpg hyw, but around town 15-16 mpg would be considered good.

A 2WD Envoy actually has higher ratings with the 5.3 V8 compared to the 4.2, but either are 2-3 mpg better than a V8 Explorer (14-15 mpg city / 20-21 highway).

But you will pay significantly more for an Envoy, especially a 5.3, and I think the vehicle as a whole will be less reliable.

when buying a $1500 work truck

I look for the truck that has been well maintained and has some easy fix flaws. I treat these trucks as disposable. The SOHC engine is great and crap all at the same time. The timing chain rattle makes these cost prohibitive to fix and I will be staying away from these.

Back