AWD vs 4WD

rhauf

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91,93,98,&02 Exploders
I'm looking at a 2002 explorer on craigslist, the owner says it is 4x4 but "it's awd when not in 4x4".. i know very little about these "newer" explorers.

in my '93, it's 2 wheel, 4 wheel, or 4 wheel low.

my understanding is that this is AWD, 4 wheel, 4 low.
Am i correct in that understanding?

are there some (2002 - 2010) which are 2, 4, 4low like a conventional 4x4?

Thanks!
(ps i searched but didn't find anything, and the forum is harassing me for not posting "lately" anyway, so new thread it is!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't sound right. Ask the seller if there are buttons on the dash by the radio to select Auto/4x4hi/4x4lo. If there are, then I think it's just the regular run of the mill auto 4x4. It will be in 2 wheel drive until the computer detects wheel spin, at which time it will automatically shift into 4x4 hi. There are no dash lights to indicate when it does it automatically. But when you push 4x4hi, there should be a light that comes on in the instrument cluster.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

D Hook is correct. There are three vertical buttons next to the radio for the 4x4. If it has these it is a 4WD unit. If they are fake buttons it will be a 2WD or AWD. If it is an AWD unit it will always be in AWD and no ability to switch to any kind of 4x4Hi/Lo.

On a different note, I hope you have done an excessive amount of research on 3rd generation Explorers. They were very poorly built and I think Ford would like to pretend that they ever made them. The 2002 MY brought about the independent rear suspension and a 5 speed transmission, both which have many issues. I am dealing with a pile of issues with my 2003 right now (invested $5,000 this year in repairs and it still isn't running right). If you haven't researched, google "2002 explorer rear end noise" and "2002 explorer transmission problems." That's just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Well it was in really good shape so i went ahead and bought it today. $5k.

it does have the 4x4auto/4x4/low buttons, and it appears to work correctly, as it goes into low range fine, and i tried flooring it in gravel and there was no rear wheelspin (so it must have engaged almost immediately)

the PO had the trans replaced a couple years ago at the dealer (gave me papers to prove it) so hopefully it got the "updated" transmission. it shifts flawlessly at any throttle position. so good sign there.

the only things i noticed mechanically, is the rear air blend door motor is clicking, and there is a slight whine from the rear end at 45 - 55mph under acceleration. so yes.. it has the rear end whine. i'll leave it be until it gets worse

i spring for the 2002 knowing the issues at hand, because it's one of the nicest looking/driving/functioning vehicles i could get for the dollar, i think everybody is scared of them by the bad rep they have.. ohc timing chains coming apart, trans issues, etc.

I did sort of have to close my eyes to the fact that it is weaker in every way than my old 93 (wheel bearings, CV joints, suspension, steering, timing chains.. the list goes on)

it does have REALLY cold a/c though.. which is a huge upgrade from non working a/c. and it's nice and quiet.. smooth ride. oh, and 3'rd row seat.

edit:
just read up on the rear end whine. sounds like I might as well drain the fluid and refill with 85w190, and maybe a little lucas.. that aught to shut it up

Congrats on the purchase. Who knows, you might have gotten a good one. Mine has been good for me, though I bought it with 146,000 miles on it. It was the first 4x4 I've owned and won't be the last. Needed new front wheel bearings and had to replace front and rear driver's side window regulators and it needs a blend door change now. But I'm overall satisfied. It's on its' third transmission, all replaced by the previous owner. I use it gently, no towing and it hasn't shown any signs of problems. Hopefully it will last for another couple years.

Best of luck with yours. Keep us posted.

D Hook is correct. There are three vertical buttons next to the radio for the 4x4. If it has these it is a 4WD unit. If they are fake buttons it will be a 2WD or AWD. If it is an AWD unit it will always be in AWD and no ability to switch to any kind of 4x4Hi/Lo.

On a different note, I hope you have done an excessive amount of research on 3rd generation Explorers. They were very poorly built and I think Ford would like to pretend that they ever made them. The 2002 MY brought about the independent rear suspension and a 5 speed transmission, both which have many issues. I am dealing with a pile of issues with my 2003 right now (invested $5,000 this year in repairs and it still isn't running right). If you haven't researched, google "2002 explorer rear end noise" and "2002 explorer transmission problems." That's just my $.02. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

So if I was to buy one an 03 or newer would be the way to go? With a 4.6 pref.?

Update.

so i changed the rear dif oil and put in 85w140 with about 1/2 quart of Lucas.
the ring and pinion whine is now barely noticeable.
I'll consider this a victory for the time being.

I have noticed a couple other problems since i got it though. there seems to be at least one wheel bearing making noise (can hear it when cornering, not sure which one yet though)... it's not BAD yet, just starting to get noisy. so, i'll have to address that here soon.

also the blend door for the rear air clicks. haven't looked into changing it yet but doesn't seem like it should be too difficult.

OH. and the bigger problem (probably the reason why the dishonest seller sold it.....) is that after a couple hours of driving once it's nice and warmed up, if i make a sharp turn it appears as if the transfer case "auto 4x4" isn't letting go completely.. there is a little binding and clunking. i later dug through the stack of receipts it came with and found one dated over a year ago which said "recommend new transfer case" so clearly it was a known problem. I suppose i'll start another thread on this, but i'm wondering if it's fixable (short of a new case), or maybe there is another (non auto) case i can swap in?

I've also noticed the "4x4" and "4x4 low" lights on the left side of the instrument cluster flash every so often, i assume this is an error code for the transfer case. additionally, if i put it in 4x4 high or low, those lights don't come on. in 4x4 low for instance, the LED on the 4x4 low button comes on, but the indicator lights on the gauges don't. also the speedometer reads incorrectly (much faster than actual speed) while in low range. i assume this is also related.

I would be checking the tires next. An unevenly worn or mismatched set of tires will cause all kinds of problems with the 4x4, especially the ones your describing. Even if they are just slightly different in diameter, it will wear out the driveline components pretty quickly. If they're not stock size tires, that could also screw up your speedo.

When I bought my 02 the first thing I did was have them put a new set of stock size tires on it. Have never had trouble with binding or 4x4 issues.

I would be checking the tires next. An unevenly worn or mismatched set of tires will cause all kinds of problems with the 4x4, especially the ones your describing. Even if they are just slightly different in diameter, it will wear out the driveline components pretty quickly. If they're not stock size tires, that could also screw up your speedo.

When I bought my 02 the first thing I did was have them put a new set of stock size tires on it. Have never had trouble with binding or 4x4 issues.

The tires are stock size (235/70r16) and they are all warn out (to the wear bars) but fairly evenly warn.

I will be getting a new set of tires soon, probably BFG rugged terrain 245/75's.
i know, i know.. not stock size, but the stock size looks too small IMO :)

about the speedo being off, let me clarify.
it's dead-on in high range, however in LOW range, it reads vastly higher than my actual speed. like 2x or 3x higher. (or probably the t-case low ratio)

I figured the way the speedometer works, is that it's electronic and measures output RPM of the transmission, then when the t-case is in low range it compensates for the gear reduction digitally. (or at least it should)

Just be certain you never push that middle button, "4X4 HIGH" while driving on pavement, and don't forget to push the top button, "4X4 AUTO" after use off-pavement.

Failure to do this is extremely hard on the electronic clutch in the transfer case which transmits power to the front wheels. imp

Hey rhauf if you want to go to a different size try 255-70-16 that is the optional tire for the Sport Trac. I went with Cooper Discoverer at3 and I love them. They fill in the wheel quite nicely with no rubbing.

You're correct about the IRS but the 5 speed automatic was released earlier. I had one in a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0 and never had any issues.

MT

Back