• Register Today It's free!

4.0 vs 4.6

lucasford

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
Hello to all. I have been a Jeep driver for years, but I am now going to buy an Explorer. I have narrowed it down to a 2002 4.0 or 2003 4.6. Both are 97k +/- cars and have the auto 4 wheel drive (not the AWD). I have not seen any regular 4 wheel drive Explorers, they all have the auto, 4 high and 4 low buttons. Both have been towed behind motor coaches for about 25K miles. Any comments as to which is a better motor and what to look out for? Both are adult owned. My use is basically driving around town and occasional use of the 4 wheel on construction job sites with no heavy towing. I like the power of the V8, these trucks drive nicer than Jeeps. The owners do not know if miles are registered on the odometer when towed. They both are older and have not cared about that.???? Should I being doing timing chain/belt replacement at this time? Thanks for any comments.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go with the V8. It is better suited for the automobile. Plus the 4.6L is in a 2003, which should be a better vehicle. 2002 is not bad, but was the first year of the new design and they fixed a lot of the issues in the 2003+ years.

There is no downside to getting the V-8 over the V-6 since they both get the same gas mileage. IMO, the 4.6L is a very durable engine and if maintained properly should last well over 200k miles. Also, there is less of a chance of timing chain failure with the V-8. The timing chains going out on a V-6 is an expensive repair and usually means an engine swap from what I have read here.

go with a 4.6 "Theres no Replacement for Displacement"

Having both I can tell you its not even close, get the V8.

I have to agree with the rest. I have the '03 with the 4.0 and wish I had kept looking around for the V8. Overall I'm very happy with mine but the extra power and torque, especially when I want to tow would definitely be welcome, and as has been said the differences in mpg is negligible.

Thanks to all for the response. I did buy the 4.6 and it is very nice. The extra power is worth it. The truck does scoot down the road.

Glad you got the 4.6. Im always wishing I could have some sort of V8. By the way miles aren't logged on the odometer behind motorhomes.

I am happy with my 4.6 with 3:73 gears it really gets going good.

I just made the switch from 00 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0L S6 to an 02 Explorer Limited V8. So much nicer interior, ride is better, and has a lot more power. I just bought mine Friday. The Wife still has her Jeep and wants an Explorer to now.

Back